88 mercury 60HP dies when put in gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman122

Reaction score
I have a bass tracker tx17 with a 60hp merc on it. the only issue I have with it is when i go from an idle to put in gear it will die.(forward or reverse) I have to resort to revving the motor with the throttle lever and then putting it into gear. I have cleaned the carbs and still having the same issue. once in gear and running I can slow down to an idle without clicking it out of gear and have no issues. once it clicks into neutral and I try to put it back into gear it dies. any ideas?

Wow! I have this same friggin problem, and the when it happens to me, the only way to get it to go it to floor it all the way and it goes. This kind of sucks because I had to do it in 2 feet of water and my back end sunk pretty far and I banged up the prop pretty bad, I know a guy that says he can fix it, if he is able too, I'll ask him what he did to it, and I'll let you know.

I got the same problem with my boat as well it will not pick up speed where se should be I think I have bad fuel hose fitting on the motor she is dripping a bit of fuel. I going to replace it as well and remove the old system fuel filter and install and new style inline filter. I hate waiting on a filter I ordered come in so with the new inline I can just walk in to the store and pick up a new one when I need it. And I guess I will do the fuel lines as well. Because if I am in there migh as well get it all fixed. I have been think it is the fuel pump but like I said I am going to do the leak and then give her a test ride.

Latest posts