Need a little help with a 2004 Johnson 9.9 J10RLSRD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboard

Reaction score
Anyone know if it should idle without the roller touching the cam?
I have done the link and sync adjustment, and everything seems to be where the book says it should be, but when I turn the throttle all the way back it will stall. If the roller is set right on the pickup mark it will idle, but the manual says the roller is supposed to be halfway between the end of the cam and the pickup mark, and when it hits the mark the throttle plate should start opening.

Also, when at full throttle, you have to back off on the throttle a little to get max. speed.
There are two adjustments that could cause this, one on the cam itself, and the full throttle stop screw.
Before I take the carb off I would like to know if I may be missing something.
By giving it a little throttle, the way it's set up now, I can troll all night with no problem.
If it should idle without the cam touching, it looks like it's time for a rebuild kit!

Can't help ya ,but I hope you get some replies cause my 15 does the same thing. If the roller is on the cam mark it will idle, if its where it should be according to the book, I can't even get the sucker started.

At least there's two of us that are experiencing the same thing, and you know what I'm talking about. When the roller is on the mark, the throttle plate is just starting to open and the motor will idle.- Air/fuel ?
Hopefully someone on here knows what to look at. If it's supposed to idle without the roller touching the cam, the problem may be the idle passages inside the carb. Just trying to get some opinions before I rip the carb. apart.

In my case some times it will idle all day and sometimes it will sputter and die. Got to pull out choke to get it started. I've got that lil screw knob on the side to adjust the trolling speed but its busted and for looks only. I did rig up a stop on it so the roller rests on the cam mark, but does not open the throttle any. Slightly beyond that, it starts to open the butterfly in the carb.
Heres a web site "Lee Roys Ramblings" that shows the roller resting on the mark. I know your motor is alot newer but I hope it helps ya out some.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson_9.9_carb-fuel_pump.htm

I've looked at alot of boating forums for info. on this, and really havent found too much, including the above mentioned. I did notice that the round sleeve around the needle was cut back in the pics.; no reason given.
Mine has the idle in the twist grip, and the carb with the tamper resistant needle for the mixture setting.
Just ordered a carb. kit, which wasn't that expensive, and will see what happens after the carb is gone over. If I'm reading it right, the needle on this carb can't even be removed to replace it.
I have this posted on another forum, also no replies. I think the motor should idle without the roller touching the cam. If that's the case it could be either the needle adjustment, or internal idle passages that may be fouled. ???