Was it just the grass???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
So I took my boat out for the second time. The motor ran great up to a certain point. It sounded like it wanted to run but didn’t have the umph (how’s that for technical terms? :roll: ). I’d have the WOT and the boat moved at trolling speed. I lifted the motor out of the water and found a HUGE wad of grass. Might have collected it when I reversed out of the shallows (wind done blown me in). I thought I had gotten it all off and it still seemed sluggish. I lifted the motor again and another clump of grass had fallen off. I guess I missed it. Anyhow, after that last clump of grass dropped off the motor ran fine with no problems. Stopped, started, hole shot, ran for a while. Repeated this a few times. Everything was ok. Figured I’d ask in case there’s something I should be aware of.
This was a new experience for me. Was it just the grass or could there be something wrong with the motor? I’ve included an video of the motor running with the grass. If you go to my youtube channel you’ll see an older vid of the motor running fine if you need to see for comparison.

30sec in you'll hear some of what i was talking about.
https://youtu.be/YekYZVW_cKU

BTW - the rattling noise is from the bimini poles. Not from the motor.

Weeds on the prop will do that. You don't usually need to raise the motor to clear it of weed though, unless it's really bad. Just shift the motor in reverse and give it a little gas then shift back to forward. 90% of the time that will clear the prop of weeds.

Weeds on prop! Also, and even more important, when you run your outboard through big patches of weeds make sure they do not clog your water intake - make sure your motor is peeing before you take off or you can do some real damage!

Latest posts