25 hp Mariner Tiller Stuck in Gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amkarlix

Reaction score
I recently got a 1994 Mariner 25hp. I removed the lower unit to replace the impeller and now it is stuck in gear. Should the motor be able to shift in and out of gear with the lower unit removed? Its like the gear that allows the motor to shift in and out of gear is stuck. Its not moving the bracket that connects to the rod that runs into the lower unit to shift the motor in and out of gear. Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to get this motor running and get it out fishing!

Aaron

Before I removed the lower unit the motor shifted fine. As I was disconnecting the shift rod I shifted it into gear and it shifted hard and now is stuck in gear.

Sounds like maybe the grooves in rod didn't like up perfectly. If lower is bolted back up try to wiggle prop clockwise/counter clockwise back and forth while you or someone else trys to wiggle shift lever back and forth. Sometines this will help seat grooves into proper alignment. I had to do this everytime I dropped lower on my yamaha 9.9

Did you by any chance pull up on the shift shaft, either by hand or by lowering the lower unit before you had the shift shaft disconnected from the top end? If you did, you may have pulled the shift cam out of position. If that's the case, you're not gonna be happy with what comes next. #-o And yea, this is one of those "Don't ask how I know that". :oops:

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have been busy for the last week and have not had any time to put into the motor.

stevesecotec02 said:
Sounds like maybe the grooves in rod didn't like up perfectly. If lower is bolted back up try to wiggle prop clockwise/counter clockwise back and forth while you or someone else trys to wiggle shift lever back and forth. Sometines this will help seat grooves into proper alignment. I had to do this everytime I dropped lower on my yamaha 9.9

Should the tiller be able to shift when the lower unit is dropped, or do the gears need to line up and somehow engage the shift mechanism in order for it to be able to shift? I ask because the tiller will not shift even when the lower unit is dropped. I can see where there is like a gear that is preventing it from shifting but I don't know if I forced it past the point where it should have been held, or if maybe it needs to have the gears lined up to engage the shift mechanism.

Thanks again for any help, it is greatly appreciated. I really want to get this motor on the water next weekend.

Aaron

Honestly I have never tried to move shift lever with the lower off. That always seemd like a bad idea to me since I have always dropped my lowers in neutral and put back on in neutral. Is this motor on a boat or stand or is it laying on its side on a workbench. I do know the won't shift when on their side.

The motor is mounted on my boat. I figured out the shifting problem. I must have forced it when shifting and the gear went past the point where it was supposed to stop and was stuck there. I removed the gears that the throttle cables connect to from the tiller arm to realign the gears, but now can not get the throttle cables back on correctly. I started a new thread about this but if anyone know how the throttle cables are supposed to go back on it would be a lot of help.

stevesecotec02 said:
My shift ends at 6am I have a 92 25hp mariner I will try and get a pic for u when I get home.

That would be awesome. I'm going to mess with it some more today, but this this is like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle. I know there is one correct way that it has to be connected and it should be a fairly easy job. I just need to know the right way to hook them up at both ends.

I will offer you a hint. Whenever you have to remove wires from anything take a digital camera and take pictures of it before unhooking the wires. I don't know how many times this has saved my behind.

Normally I am very careful about paying attention to how things are connected before removing them, in this case I had no intention of unhooking the control cables. I removed the gear they connect to, and while I was messing with the other gear to realign everything the throttle control cables spun loose from the first gear. Then as there was slack in the cables they came loose from their connections in the tiller handle.

My computer won't recognize the sd card from my camera it keeps asking for a password to unlock the card. I have to head to work here shortly but I will take the card with me and try it there. Sorry

stevesecotec02 said:
My computer won't recognize the sd card from my camera it keeps asking for a password to unlock the card. I have to head to work here shortly but I will take the card with me and try it there. Sorry

That would be awesome. I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out. It is much appreciated.

Aaron

I always remove mine with it in forward and don't touch it until assembled. Pull it off and put it back making sure everything is lined up

Hindsight being what it is I will never have/cause either of these problems again. I finally got both of them fixed and everything put back together and the motor is running great. Best part is I did it myself so it didnt cost me a dime.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320977#p320977 said:
amkarlix » 22 minutes ago[/url]"]Hindsight being what it is I will never have/cause either of these problems again. I finally got both of them fixed and everything put back together and the motor is running great. Best part is I did it myself so it didnt cost me a dime.

Makes a person feel good doesn't it

It sure does. I generally like to try to get things done myself, but that throttle/shift cable hookup was driving me crazy. After bass pro told me what they would charge to hook them back up I came home and put some more time in it and finally got it.

Latest posts