18hp too big?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
I've got a1968 Grumman 13'1" flat bottom tinny. The capacity/ model/ serial tag was missing when I bought it. Would a 18hp 68 evinrude be too big for it?
boatsmall03.jpg

Only one way to find out lol. Looks like a pretty light boat so it would certainly fly. If I had to guess I would say it was probably origonally rated for 10hp.

A guy I know has an 18 on a smaller boat then that and he wants to get a 25hp motor.

This 18hp used to push my16' semi v 22mph. I done really care how fast its going to go. I just done want to damage it.

Here's a post with the formula to determine Max HP based on size of boat....if plate is missing

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144

I honestly think that formula is not accurate at all. My 16' tinny was rated for 45 on the tag and that said I shouldn't go above a 25. My 12' tinny i used to have was only rated for3 on this system but said 15 on the transom. You'd think the manufacturer would underestimate for insurance purposes anyways.

Ended up losing the 18hp in our recent flood so it looks like I'll be searching for a new one.

Latest posts