Pee problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
First time to post in awhile. I replaced the impeller in my '81 merc 25hp electric start motor last week and put the muffs on and still had no pee. BUT, I did notice a strong stream coming out from around where one of the bolts that connect the LU to the UU are. The bolt is tight so I don't know how water could be coming out of there. Could I have missed the hose connection when I put it back together? I forgot to put the little washer back on the top of the shift shaft when I first reassembled it but when I took it apart it looked like the hoses had hit perfectly so I wasn't too worried about it the second time. I did clean out the hose going from the water exit to the block.

Thanks,

Mike

Check your thermostat it could be stuck closed. Not sure exactly how the 81merc works but my 91 has the tell tale coming directly from thermostat.

Where is the T-stat on this motor? My Son-In-Law & I looked all over for it and couldn't find it. The drain valve on this motor looks like its coming straight from the cylinder head then to a rubber tube that runs down to the bottom of the cowl.
Here's a photo of the back of a motor like mine. The white 90 degree valve is where the water comes out of the motor then drains down through the tube.

Waterdrainon25hpMerc_zpsfad51fd9.jpg
[/url][/img]

Also, here's a short video clip that shows the motor running and water just dripping out of the upper drain but running solidly out of the lower unit. Is this correct?

https://s240.photobucket.com/user/MikeA57/media/25 Merc Water Pump Issue/Merc25_zps57349321.mp4.html

I don't believe yours has a thermostat. Even on motors that do have a thermostat, sometimes the telltale is plumbed before the thermostat so that's not always an indicator of whether or not one is stuck.

Did your line stay in the midsection or did it pull out with the l/u? Could be the boot/grommet where the tube goes into the head is shot or the tube isn't in it properly. That tube should have stayed in the head but it still could have a cracked or leaking boot/grommet.

Also, did you replace the entire pump or just the impeller? Could be that you have housing leaks.

If that 90deg elbow has two bolts the thermostat is right behind it. You will want a new gasket for the cover as well. Also make sure thee pee tube didn't get plugged up.

I agree with Quackr, it appears that the boot at top or bottom of your water tube is split/busted or you missed the boot with the water tube when you were re installing the lower unit. With the amount of water I see, I'd think you missed the hole with the water tube as the most likely option.

OK, thanks guys, I'll take the LU off again and check that out. The tube stayed in when I took it apart. Do I need to disconnect the top of the rod up in the motor and drop the whole LU off completely again or is it OK just to drop it far enough to separate the boot and the tube and try again? If I take it all the way off can I shine a light up there and see if the tube is cracked or split or something?

Oh, and there are no bolts where the 90 degree connection is. And I replaced only the impeller. This was a new impeller about 3 years ago and the boat was on the water twice in that time. I'm hoping to change that if I can get this running.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319564#p319564 said:
tnriverluver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm[/url]"]1981 Merc will definetly have a thermostat. Keep looking or find a manual.

Mercury didn't start installing thermostats into them until the mid 80's. So says several sources on Google.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319576#p319576 said:
Quackrstackr » Yesterday, 20:17[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319564#p319564 said:
tnriverluver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm[/url]"]1981 Merc will definetly have a thermostat. Keep looking or find a manual.

Mercury didn't start installing thermostats into them until the mid 80's. So says several sources on Google.

I believe the magic number is 1984 mid production run. I own an 84 merc mariner that has one and if you look up the parts breakdown for the 84 25hp mercs, it depends on the serial # as to whether it has a thermostat or not.

That is what I thought was the case but had to Google it last night just to make sure I wasn't going any more insane than I already am. :lol: