1955ish johnson 5 1/2 motor??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebil79

Reaction score
I had asked about a 3 hp evinrude the other day, it got sold on me the day I was going to look at it. I found a 1955 (the guy believes) 5.5 hp johnson, same questions, any reason to stay away? Any problems they have? Are parts still available? He says it runs good. He has the pressure tank with it and is asking $150.

Motors seem to be expensive in my area so Im looking for a deal if I can find one.

I did find another (1960) 3 hp evinrude but the guy wants $200. The one I missed out on was $135.

Thanks

You can still get parts for them through vintageoutboard.com. Make sure you check compression on a motor that old. Those pressure tanks are getting hard to come by and sell for a premium in good shape.

No reason to stay away. Lots of parts available. Ignition parts really common used them for years. Pressure tank rebuild kits available. Twin line hose is available also. I got to rebuild my tank is leaks some. The tanks sell for about the asking price.

Steve

No need to go to any special parts source
All the normal service parts are still available for that engine including ignition, gaskets, carb kits, and water pump parts.
Many hard parts are also still available.
These parts are available through any Johnson/Evinrude dealer.
Be sure to run the engine on a 24:1 mixture if you get it. They are fantastic running engines.

i agree, great motor. easy to work on and parts are all over the net. make sure you get the gas tank.
heres mine running after i did the single line conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpj71k6t0rA

Latest posts