Tracker PT175 Set Up question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aje3721

Reaction score
Hello everyone, you have another newbie! I've dropped by the site a number of times and you seem to have a very informed, knowledgeable group so I thought I should stick around and try to learn a little. I have a 2002 Tracker PT175tx, 24V Minn Kota Maxxum and a Merc 25 Classic. Wow, a TX175 with a 25? Yea, I know. I really don't get anywhere quick. Back in the day (pre-mortgage and pre-family), I had a Triton TR21 with a Merc 225 and I had to down size. One of the best things I ever did. I have a concern though with my setup. When I bought the boat from the previous owner it had a 12V trolling motor and he carried a lot less on the boat. It actually ran pretty well and glided well on the water. I'm hesitant to say it came up on plane but it ran well.

Now with the additional battery, heavier 24V motor, electronics and more tackle than I need I'm pushing some water. I moved the starting battery to the front compartment and added a fin to the back. This may have helped a little. I switched props dropping two points from what was on there factory. I forget the pitch of the new and old props but I'll check and post that later. I thought I would try to raise the motor on the transom a little so I inserted a 1" aluminum spacer between the motor and the transom. All things considered, it's a little better. Like I said, I know I can't expect to move that and I actually fish a lot of limited HP lakes where I need the 25. So I start thinking jack plate. If it has a chance of helping with a couple mph and getting the motor in a better RPM range then I would consider one of the tilt and trim units out there. I just need to figure out where to measure the height of the motor on the transom. The Tracker has that stepped hull in the back and I don't know if I should get a comparison between the keel and the cavitation plate or the raised area on the transom and the plate. Does anyone have experience with a PT175 and a little 25? Input on the tilt and trim units out there. Hope this topic hasn't been chewed on 20 times in the last week and I missed. If it has been, I apologize and you can chalk it up to me being a novice around here! Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Latest posts