91 Johnson 25 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazrull

Reaction score
Model # TJ25ELEI

Can someone point me to the correct shop manual for this engine? I've found several manuals but they are pretty generic.
I think this is a pretty popular engine but I know nothing about it.

The starter pinion gear was spinning, but not engaging the flywheel. I bought a new battery and cleaned the contacts. Now the pinion engages for a few seconds, then drops back down before the engine starts. I guess the next step is gonna be replacing the solenoid.

Thanks for any help!

If your starter is spinning when you hit the start button, your solenoid is working properly and replacing it will not do you any good. You might try cleaning and lubricating the shaft where the starter gear slides up and down and see if that helps.

Ok, WD-40 on the pinion gear did the trick! Fired right up in the driveway so I hauled it over to the river, putted around the dock area looking for leaks or any other problems (I just bought this boat) then scooted up and down the river several times.

:D

Although it will work temporarily, WD40 is not a good lubricant. It's designed for water displacement, hence the WD in the name. I'd recommend you use a light grease, maybe lithium or something similar for more of a long term lubricant.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319636#p319636 said:
chazrull » 21 Jun 2013, 10:00[/url]"]Model # TJ25ELEI

Can someone point me to the correct shop manual for this engine? I've found several manuals but they are pretty generic.
I think this is a pretty popular engine but I know nothing about it.

The starter pinion gear was spinning, but not engaging the flywheel. I bought a new battery and cleaned the contacts. Now the pinion engages for a few seconds, then drops back down before the engine starts. I guess the next step is gonna be replacing the solenoid.

Thanks for any help!

I just sold my 98' Johnson. Ill send you a manual for it. You just pay the shipping. 918-671-0870

Latest posts