Tiller Throttle Cable Connection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amkarlix

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the connections of the throttle and shift cables on a tiller outboard? I removed the gears that the cables connect to to shift the motor to fix another problem and in doing so the throttle cables came loose from the gear they were connected to. While they were loose and I was trying to get them reconnected the slack in the cable caused them to also come loose from their connections in the tiller handle. I removed the side plate to access the cables in the tiller, but have not been able to figure out how they are supposed to be properly reconnected in both locations. Anyone with any knowledge of this is greatly appreciated. Motor is a 1993 Mariner 25 hp.

No one has ever had to replace or reconnect throttle and shift cables on a Mercury outboard that has the shift control in the tiller handle?

I don't think anyone is holding back any info from you. I've been dealing with mercury motors owned by family, friends, or myself since back in the 70's and I've never known of any of those engines having to have the cables replaced over that period. Of course not all of those motors used cables for shifting or throttle but still..... Your best bet would probably be to track down a service manual.

Yea I'm just frustrated with this thing. I'm going to bass pro to get a new impeller this afternoon. I may just pull the boat up there and tell one of the techs I'll give him some cash to hook them back up. Was trying to avoid that but I want to get out and do some fishing tomorrow morning.

Latest posts