15HP VS 20HP 4STROKE SUZUKI EFI DIFFERENCE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i have been trying for a long time to find out what the difference is between a 15 and 20hp 4stroke outboard in general.Well i got my answer from youtube.I watched a guy from suzuki marine do tests on the same boat(inflatable) with 2,3, and 4 people with the 15hp first then the 20hp.

The difference was huge in the take off power and top end.The 15hp was able to get 2 people on plane with ease but when it came to 3 it struggled,with 4 it just took forever to get them on plane,close to 20 to 25 seconds.The top end was decent with 2,3 and 4 people with the 15hp but like i said once 3 and 4 people were on the boat it struggled a ton to get them on plane,once on plane they all had good top end speeds.

The 20hp had no problem getting 2,3,or 4 people on plane,plus the top end was awesome for all 3 tests to.The guys were probally 150 to 180lbs per person so thats not to bad for a 20hp,thats say 100lbs for the motor and close to 600-700lbs of people.

I'm def convinced to get the 20hp suzuki,it has def showed me from tons of videos how powerful of a little motor it is.It has very smooth acceleration and tons of power,also very quiet at idle.

Well i just figured i would post this if anyone was interested in the difference between the 2 and contemplating which one to get.The 20hp is worth every extra penny over the 15hp. :mrgreen:

I bought an Alumacraft v-14 this year new with a suzuki df20, absolutely love it, idles quiet, can easily plane out with 3 people in the boat and maintain 23mph while doing so. I will try to post a video up of the motor in action and post the link here.

My dad has the 20hp (DF20 AS) on hvis 4 meter. He has only had it for about a year, so it's still early days, but so far a great engine. A considerable difference from the previous Merc, bot in fueleconomy and noise. If I remember right, the 15 and 20 hp share the same engineblock, ie have the same weight. I would defenitely go for the 20 in this case.

Latest posts