EVINRUDE 9.5 SPORTWIN please help!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiggyjigger

Reaction score
This motor has started what it seems like revving up while still in gear. I thought it was popping out of gear but the prop is still spinning. It revs up just past idle on the twist throttle . I pulled out the clutch dog and spun it around yet got the same result. Is there another clutch of some sort? Is it possible the driveshaft between the motor and gearcase could be the stripped? How much play/ wiggle should I have in the "pegs" of the clutch dog where it connects to the gears? I'm lost. Please help

I have really been interested in this topic Wondering what's going on.... But I'm guessing no one has any suggestions

You're sure you re-installed the clutch dog and all linkages correctly so that it stays in gear forward and reverse? While the lower unit is off, you can usually pullout the drive shaft and make sure the threads are ok. I'm betting something in the shifting linkage is incorrect, maybe re-buid it studying the schematic.Pull the shift lever (on top of water pump housing) up and down, and watch it to get a feel for how it should work, make sure the shift fork is mounted properly with the smooth bore philips head screw from only one side in the lower half of the lower unit.

If it acts like its reving in gear ( compare it to driving down the road and pushing in the clutch of your car while keeping your foot on the gas pedal) then its most likely a spun hub in your propeller. There pressed in and over time they will start slipping while under load. About $40 at most shops.
If it feels like you hit a stump then most likely the clutch dog/ possible fwd gear is bad.

Latest posts