20 hp merc. fourstroke lower unit rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
Update on my blown lower unit. After completly tearing down my lower unit I found that the pinion gear was shot! Half the teeth were gone. So I cleaned all the bearings etc..... Of metal chunks and shavings. The forward and reverse gear looked surprisingly ok. Oil looked, felt (minus e xcess metal), smelled fine. So I rolled the dice got a new tohatsu gear, impeller, hub o-ring and reassembled. New lower unit grease and changed the motor oil. Took the boat out Sunday with a buddy motor ran great. Also the mysterious whine that it had is now gone. The whine was there from day one, I thought it was normal. So I think I may have had a problem from the beginning. We took it easy for the first mile or so and went down river came back up a little faster and fished for 4 hours we caught enough fish where we were done with fishing and cruises around with no more lower unit issues. I will change the grease out after the next trip to see what it looks like.