Nissan 9.8 4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attwanl

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a chance to pick up a 2011 nissan 9.8 4-stroke, was wondering if anyone has one or had any input on them. I know they are heavier, heard they are very reliable and easier on fuel, don't think I'll notice any difference from the 1975 6hp evinrude I have now as far as fuel consumption goes.

I have one of them and the only two problems i have are its a long shaft, originally bought as a kicker motor for the big boat and its weight when setting on my home made jack plate. Other than that you will be very happy with this motor. I would even venture to say you will see improved gas consumption over the 6hp 2 stroke.

Thanks for the reply....what do you type of boat do you have it on? I'am want to put ou on a 12 /36 jon. This one is a long shaft too, I will have to build up the transom . He is going to let let me take it out for a test run in a day or two.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29059

Above is the link to the post with pictures of the boat and jack plate I made for it. I really need to make a new full transom board if I keep this motor on this boat.

I like the jack plate idea, it even put the motor further back. I was thinking about just adding my transom, but I like your design better. I was online and saw they make three different shaft sizes. A 15" a 20" and a 25" . Only the 20 and 25 come with electric start. Which one do you have?
I heard the four strokes are slow about taking off. Not that I need it to launch me out of the water just trying to get an idea of what I need to look for when I test it out.
Thanks for your help

I have no other real experience with small motors all my other boats are 70hp and up. I have put this 9.8 on the boat in the link above which is a 12 foot Simi-V and a 12 foot flat bottom Jon boat and with me and the wife and all her gear it does great. It doesn't jump out of the water but it doesn't take long at all to get on plain with the above mentioned boats. I full throttle to plain the run at half to about 2/3rds throttle with no noticeable difference in speed although I am sure there is some. I don't remember what shaft length I have but am pretty sure it is the 20" as my jack plate only moves 4-5 inches and is working great! Do a search on my post and you can read what I was getting as far as speed on the 12 foot Jon boat. Hope this helps!

had a 2009 ON MY 1444 G3. SOLD IT TO MY FRIEND. TOP SPEED W/1 19+MPH. with 2 I would hit 14 if I moved stuff around. gas consumption was minimal. 3 day camping trip used up 4 agl. only problems I had wrer associated with carbs . keep stabil in ur tank, run dry after use. I ahd a tree hit the motor . I believe plastic got in the carb from it. one rebuild later ran great. I now have a 30 hp efi on a 1648. gas consumption is so low I use a 3 gal tank, not the 6 that came with it

Latest posts