1984 Evinrude 15 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I picked up an 84 model 15 hp Evinrude electric start motor today. When I made it home and unloaded everything, I put the motor on muffs attached to battery pumped in some good fuel and kicked her off! She coughed sputtered for a few seconds and that was it. She only tried to fire up for just a second and nothing after that. I am getting fire, the spark plugs look good and I took and hooked fuel tank strait to fuel pump as fuel hose looked bad. The fuel pump and carburetor both look like they have brand new gaskets in them and no I did not start to tear them down tonight I have a class tomorrow. I did take the breather off and there is fuel coming out of the hole indicated at the end of the red line in picture below when I squeeze on the bulb, when I put my finger over the hole fuel will come out of the carb.
New Picture.jpg
The compression in both cylinders is 110 to 115 also the piece with the screw item number 7 in the below diagram snapped off this is the part that opens the carb so the high speed should not work but can’t believe that would stop it from cranking as only the high speed end broke off also I think item 16 is missing too.
New Picture (1).jpg

Any help/ideals would be appreciated!
Thanks, and here are a few of the motor.
15 HP Evinrude 2.jpg
15 HP Evinrude 1.jpg

I bet a good carb cleaning will get it up and running. if fuel is leaking from the carb i would check the float to make sure it's not stuck or gummed up.

Should finish up this Bosiet training by noon today and that will be the first thing I do when I get home.

MrTotty said:
I bet a good carb cleaning will get it up and running. if fuel is leaking from the carb i would check the float to make sure it's not stuck or gummed up.

Bingo!
Pulled the carb off and it looked some one cleaned and put a carb kit in it then stored it. Float was stuck to the bottom and gummed in one small spot and the jets had small amount of varnish other than that it looked brand new! She is purring line a kitten now! The throttle advance cam will be in Monday the water is pumping strong going to check the lower unit oil and if the flywheel is not to much of a pain to pull we'll be getting her wet that day too!

Flywheel came off without much problems so now fingers crossed that the part comes in tomorrow!

If anyone catches a line on a pull start assembly for a 9.9-15 and they don't want an arm & leg for it let me know.

No! The pull start was removed why I don't know but like to have the option without having to take the cowling off to rap rope around the flywheel in the event of a dead battery. As this is for the wife I can see the cowling sinking to the bottom and being washed down river!

Well now I am a little aggravated! Just got back from my local marine parts store that told me my part would be in today only to find out they just ordered it today! Although I like to help the local economy out I went ahead and ordered on line now I know it is ordered and will be delivered to my house!

Ok guys if installed the parts fired her up from cold with rope rapped around flywheel just to see how hard she would be to start by hand when cold. The girl fired on the second pull. Let her warm up for a second then goosed her a couple times on the third try she died not to re start! Tried all evening, finally broke down and pulled the flywheel back off after testing for fire, compression, and fuel, and wouldn't ya know it the flywheel key was broken. This is the second time on two different motors that the key has broken after pulling the flywheel. I will always install a new key anytime I pull one from here on out!!!

Installed a new key this morning, $8 bucks! Anyway fired her up warmed her up then chocked her down with decarb and will let her set until tomorrow.

Ok we'll I put her in the river today and although she is pumping water something is not right. At least that is what I believe. She cranked on the first pull and idled in revers neutral and forward very well. Proceeded up river around a couple bends about 3 to 4 hundred yards and saw bait jumping so stopped to cast net some and that is when I noticed the tattle-tail sputter with water and steam then go back to a steady stream but the water was real hot and the exhaust housing was hot enough that I couldn't hold my hand on it. I mean neither the water nor the housing would burn you but you couldn't hole your hand on or under them for very long. Now the only engine I can compare it to is my 9.8 four stroke that doesn't get no where near that hot.

So now I am head out to change the water pump and check the thermostat tonight! If anyone has any other ideals please chime in. Or if this normal for a 15 hp 2 stroke let me know also.

Also here is a picture of how she sets. I am fairly sure she is deep enough in the water. I actually think she can come up an inch or two.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374898601.783904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374898711.598663.jpg

Ok the water pump looks fresh but take a look at this.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374900877.683644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374900907.533364.jpg
Not sure how well that came out but it looks like the seal was beat in and really distorted. Going back with a complete new kit. Hope this is my problem. Going to test compression again when done here.

A little tip, for the carb, for future use. I have the 1986 model of your 15hp in the Johnson. I has some initial issue with running smooth and sputtering and such, to start. I got a small bottle of Seafoam from Autozone/Auto Parts store and mixed it as noted on jar, it was a strong mix it think 50/50 and ran about 1/2 gallon through motor with standard 50:1 mix and presto, no more issues ever with starting and idling. Purred from that point on, and I always add the Seafoam to my oil/gas mix. Never and issue, works better in my opinion than the stabilizer out there.

Just my .02.

Int rested to hear fit the water pump repair is going to solve your problem.

Good luck!

Rob

Thanks! I do use seafoam!

When ahead and changed the gear oil just because. Have the foot reinstalled, check compression and although they seem to have dropped a little there still good at around 105 each. It's a little late for the muffs and a test so we will see in the morning.

Well not to sure about this after staring the water flow seems very weak especially compared to the 93 15hp which has a lot of psi coming from the tell-tell. Any way will pull it back down and re-check and probably go ahead and pull the thermostat to check clean and replace. I didn't put it in the river today since I got the part in for the 93 I wanted to test it.

Anyhow all will be put on hold for the next 37-40 days while I head off to work.