Need some help on an embarrassing motor.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
Well yesterday, there was our town celebration, and our town is where the North and West Branch of the Susquehanna River meet. Well there was fireworks last night and there was alot I mean alot of people out on Lake Augusta in Sunbury, PA. Well we took my boat out to watch, first thing, we forgot to put the plug in (Facepalm), second was that the engine battery died, so I had to switch the engine to the trolling motor battery, third thing was that the motor didn't want to idle at all. It kept stalling. Its in a no wake zone where everyone was and I couldn't it get it to go no wake speed without it stopping. I probably had to start the motor about 30 times in 15 mins. Oh on top of that we get stopped by the Fish and boat commision for having no lights, we were too busy fiddling with the motor that we forgot about them, and it was in front of everyone on the one shoreline sitting in chairs ready to watch the fireworks.

I'm pretty much guessing that it is the carbs, but the carbs were done rebuilt 2 to 3 years ago. My motor is im guessing a 1987 Mercury Classic 50 45hp, 2 stroke. If anyone had a similar problem all the help would be much appreciated! Thanks and stay safe!

Can anyone else help me out on this? If I could fix it myself it would save me taking it to the boat mechanic.

First did you have new, clean fuel? If not I would start there.

If the boat was setting up rebuilding the carbs 2-3 years ago is ancient. As far as that goes you easily could have gotten water/debris in them recently. I would start by taking them apart and giving them a good cleaning.

The fuel was from this year.

So basically I should take them to the mechanic and have them rebuilt or just cleaned? Would spraying carburetor cleaner fluid in the carbs clean it out at all or do I have to take them apart to do it?

If you are comfortable doing it take them apart and clean them. The new fuel with ethanol is heck about gumming up carbs.

Fuel from "this year" ? How old was the gas? Get fresh clean gas - some water in the fuel will do exactly what you said

Also, check all your fuel lines and connections - tighten them! Does the primer bulb stay hard when you pump it with the motor off? Does it get soft with the motor on?

How old is your spark plug

Try those easy things before you rip apart the carbs

DO NOT just spray carb cleaner - however, you might want to try SeaFoam or a similar product that is safe for a 2 stroke engine. You start the engine and dump the seafoam into the carb and let it sit (read the instructions on the can)

Use a hypo needle (or something like that) to squirt the stuff into the carb

The ball stays soft, then I open up the case of the engine as I was squeezing the ball and it was shooting fuel out of the carb.. So I'm guessing the carb is shot??

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327138#p327138 said:
Kochy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm[/url]"]The ball stays soft, then I open up the case of the engine as I was squeezing the ball and it was shooting fuel out of the carb.. So I'm guessing the carb is shot??

Like SUmDum said - you have a bad float or valve - easy fix!

"Fresh" fuel with ethanol, breaks down in 28 days and will allow one molecule of H2o attach to the fuel. Then after setting for a while the water molecule will separate from the fuel and then you will have water in your fuel. Also the ethanol leaves a gummy residue inside the carbs. If your not running your motor every 20 days or so, you are getting a build up. Makes sure you disconnect the fuel line and run the motor until all fuel is burned up.

X 3 on the float. Pull the carb off, flip it upside down ( this should shut the float) and try and blow threw the fuel inlet line. If you can your floats hung open. If not I'd pull the bowl and physically move the float to see what's going on

Latest posts