Squeeze bulb

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMaestro

Reaction score
When im done fishing, I disconnect the fuelline on my outboard to take the tank out of the boat. I can feel the bulb and the fuel line still have fuel in them, and when I reconnect the next time im out,as soon as i plug in the fuel line and the pin is pressed in, fuel squirts out from the hose under pressure. How do i relieve the pressure before disconnecting so it doesnt sit under pressure? Its a 78 evi rude, butbthe tank and fittings are new.

I don't like to leave fuel inside my bulb/line when I'm not going to be using my boat for extended periods. Mainly because some times I'm forced to use 10% eth fuel and the ethanol will damage the line and bulb with prolonged contact. So for that reason I manually drain the fuel in my fuel line and bulb back into the tank and then store my line/bulb.

My dad use to run his motor out of gas each time he used it and the would take the hose off the tank and plug the motor end in the tank and use the bulb to pump the line out. He would never leaver his gas can in the boat

use something that will not damage the O-Ring seals .... like a Q-Tip or something
in both ends at the same time to drain the line... .
I have been using a drywall screw and now am paying for it with leaking fittings !!!!
DO NOT USE SHARP THINGS TO OPEN THE BALL BEARING SEALS !!!!
yeah yeah yeah I know, same thing as putting a bobby pin in your ear !! LOL

do this also when putting your rig up for an extended period of time to prevent ethanol poisoning.

gas fitting 002.JPG

There is nothing more grand than
to be just simply messing around
in an old boat . . . . POGO, 1960

Or pick up a quality (not a sierra or any of the wal-mart brands) fuel line assembly, made from EPA compliant materials. They don't harden up like the chinese stuff does. The Yamaha fuel lines (the "new" ones) have been out since Apr 2011. Some of the smaller motors I dealt with have sat for months (years sometimes) on end. Fuel line is as pliable as it was when it was new. Impressed with the material that is used. BUT they aren't cheap. I put one on Dad's 9.9 Evinrude in Sept 2011, he hasn't used it since (sitting with fuel in it that long)-still perfect. I just cut the ends off and put John/Rude ends on it. I think it was like $55 back then. Probably $70 now.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343881#p343881 said:
Barefoot_Johnny » Yesterday, 22:05[/url]"]use something that will not damage the O-Ring seals .... like a Q-Tip or something
in both ends at the same time to drain the line... .
I have been using a drywall screw and now am paying for it with leaking fittings !!!!
DO NOT USE SHARP THINGS TO OPEN THE BALL BEARING SEALS !!!!
yeah yeah yeah I know, same thing as putting a bobby pin in your ear !! LOL

do this also when putting your rig up for an extended period of time to prevent ethanol poisoning.

Wonder how many guys on here know what a bobby pin is ?? :LOL2:

hahhhahaa @ the bobby pin ....
I was going to use the word Hat Pin but thought the same thing hahahahahaa

I guess in todays Yuppy World, cork screw for fine wine would be more aprepo.....
or, for the country slickers like myself, ten penny nail ...

hhahaaaa good point indeed

Well for those that don't know what a bobby pin is, they may never know. Have you tried to find one lately? And a qtip will never be able to take the place of a bobby pin when you've got an itch to scratch in your ear. LoL

Get a couple of male fittings from junk motors. Plug them into your fuel line. The primer bulb has check valves(obviously) so elevate the tank-end and the fuel just runs right out, fast.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322345#p322345 said:
TheMaestro » 14 Jul 2013, 21:36[/url]"]When im done fishing, I disconnect the fuelline on my outboard to take the tank out of the boat. I can feel the bulb and the fuel line still have fuel in them, and when I reconnect the next time im out,as soon as i plug in the fuel line and the pin is pressed in, fuel squirts out from the hose under pressure. How do i relieve the pressure before disconnecting so it doesnt sit under pressure? Its a 78 evi rude, butbthe tank and fittings are new.

OK, to answer the original question best I can...

When you're done for the day, disconnect the fuel line from the tank, plug in an 'engine-end' fitting into the tank-end, elevate it above the engine, and let the engine run until the hose and engine are dry(could take a while).

If your fuel line is permanently attached to the tank, there may be no way to drain the line as long as fuel remains in the tank. It will siphon. Squeezing the primer bulb will also pressurize the line from the bulb up to the engine connector. If the tank is pressurized from the sun, loosening the cap, before you connect up, might help avoid the spray. Maybe not, the bulb check-valves can still hold that pressure between the bulb and the engine connector. In that case, no matter what opens the engine-end, there will be a fuel spray. Good reason to have a small towel in the boat.

I was taught as a kid to always run the motor out of fuel when done with the boat. In those days you had to bleed the pressure off the tank too, with the cap(2 line tanks). The habit is a good one.

Hope this helps out...

Latest posts