Name that label on outboard tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd421

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a 1956 and a 1954 10 and 5.5 hp Johnson outboards. They came with a dual line gas tank too. Does anybody know if they can identify the label below that is on the side of the tank? The greenish looking color is the metal of the can. There definitely looks like some kind of label there. Thanks so much.

Just zooming in on the pic you posted I can see some of the lettering lines beneath the paint. If you were to wet the surface and then shine a light across it from an angle you could probably make out a lot more in person and probably get a good idea of what is hiding under the paint.

tank.jpg

Thanks Mike,

It looks like OMC and AD then a bunch of letters and then ES

Is this important or am I just reading too many vintage outboard forums?

Well I probably wouldn't mind painting it, especially if I get my motor looking good. But I couldn't sand around that decal and so I would need new decals for it. So it doesn't look like a rare can or anything so I guess I'm good.

Say do you have any idea what that square thing is that sticks out the side of the Johnson 10hp 1956, its towards the front on the left side if you are facing the motor and it has two holes in it, facing inboard?

thanks so much, I appreciate it.

Based on your description I could only guess at it being a mount point for the shifter cable when using remote controls but that's just a guess.