Troubleshooting 72' Evinrude 4hp 4206S

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I purchased a new to me 4hp evinrude and it is not currently running. PO said it ran a few months ago fine and when he pulled it out to sell it he couldnt get it to start. The engine has a new fuel pump, spark plugs, and spark plug wires (these parts were on it when it ran a few months ago). It sounds like it not be getting fuel which i assume the carbs need to be cleaned. I was wondering if someone had a video of a similar engine'd carbs being cleaned or a some intel on how I should go about doing so. I have never cleaned a outboards carbs but I have done it to a 49cc Dirt bike numerous times and I figure it should be similar.

This is the first marine motor that I put a carb kit in! Very simple, the only thing that gave me trouble was I followed the pictures in the diagram and it led me to put the float in up side down so save yourself a little time before reinstalling the carb turn it upside down and try to blow in the fuel line connection. No air should go in then turn up right and blow, air should go in. It took me pulling it off about three times before figuring this out.

I was wrong about the year it is a '72. I assume they are very similar though. Thank you for that reply it will be helpful and ill take note about the float. Now which diagram were you looking at? Was it this one? https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1972&hp=4&model=4206S&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Carburetor

I check out the carb and it looked great. Im not really sure where to go from here. I bought a spark tester from auto zone and checked for spark, and the engine does have spark. It has a brand new spark plugs, wires, and fuel pump. I am kind of stuck.

Well I can tell you from recant experience with my 9.9 and 15 that there is a good possibility that if the flywheel was pulled to set the points and if it wasn't tightened back down right it could have broken the key and if it has twisted out of line it will give you fire but will not be in time so it won't start.

Thanks for all your help - Im following your 9.9/15hps post - thats how I just figured out which cylinder wasnt running on my 6hp!

Back to this motor, I am not sure if im looking at the wrong diagram or not but I cant seem to find said part https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1972&hp=4&model=4206S&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Magneto I assume I need a flywheel removal tool though?

Latest posts