tilt/trim finicky. replaced solenoids, possible bad motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookedontronics

Reaction score
My tilt and tirm have been hit or miss. For a little while it was working without any problems (in my garage) after I replaced both the batteries with new ones. I took the boat out last weekend, tilted the motor all the way up and launched it. parked the car and jumped in and the motor wouldn't go down. I can hear the solenoids click but no movement. I decided to use the trolling motor to get out of the marina and then after about 30minutes of just cruising around with the trolling motor and hitting the button randomly it started working again and worked for the following 2 hours while I was in the boat.

The other day it stopped working again when I was messing around with it in the garage. Last night I replaced both solenoids thinking this was the issue. I am still getting the same thing. I can hear it clicking but no movement on the tilt/trim. I hooked up a test light and I am getting power on the other side of the solenoid. looks like the motor to me.

any suggestions to try before I go drop a couple bills on a new tilt/trim motor? really hoping that is the issue and I can fix this and move on

serial: 0B239828

I had an issue like that the Cajun bass boat I had. It ended up being a combination of a bad ground ( which caused it not to work) and a bad transom switch ( which caused it to tilt all the way up when I didn't touch anything) With what you've replaced, The only thing left is the switch itself.

Sounds like a ground or a bad connection at the motor.

If the solenoid is clicking, that pretty well rules out the switch.

tonight i'm going to wire the motor directly to a battery and see if that'll work. if not, a new motor is getting ordered. Guy at the marina told me it's the motor, and he priced up one at $600. I priced up the same part # for $135-150. ridiculous

Check for batt V at the motor. Hook your test light to batt V and check the ground. If both are good you need a motor.

A multi meter is a lot more accurate if you have access to one. Id check for high resistance or broke wire strands between your solenoid and motor before commiting to a new one

pulled the wiring from the trim motor last night and then realized I needed to remove the outboard to remove the trim motor. Just for the hell of it I touched it derictly to a battery and it started working again (after I had already tried this with no results)...seems like a bad motor, it's working right now for who long I don't know but i'm gonna order a new one and hope this lasts awhile because it looks like a real PINA to change

Latest posts