76 Johnson 25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryG

Reaction score
Last weekend I took my Jon out for the first time in a couple years (illness). I mixed fresh fuel and test the motor several time before hitting the water. Left the ramp at approximately 7:30 am and the motor started easily and ran great. We fished for a few hours moving a couple times but mainly drifted. We decided to head in around 11. When I tilted the motor back into the water and started it revved really high. (it had never done this before) I immediately shut it down and pulled the cover and checked all linkages. After determining that everything was ok I restarted the motor and it seemed to be a little high on RPMs but not to bad so we preceded back in. After being on plane for several minutes the motor lost power and the boat came off plane. It never died but it was running rough, I backed off the throttle and the motor bucked and then smoothed out. I got back on the throttle and the boat came back on plane and ran fine for several minutes and then did the same thing. The motor never stopped running and was not hot to the touch. I am thinking it is a fuel issue. I did rebuild the fuel pump shortly before I was shelved.

My second problem is that I know I am under propped but I am having a hard time finding a suitable prop for my outboard. My current prop is a 9 x 10.

Would the prop cause the motor to "bog" and slow down?

Sorry to be long winded, I just want you guys to have all the facts.

When you tilted your motor up you may have sloshed around some debris in your carbs.. causing the needle to not seat properly in turn causing the floats to not do their job either. Which either would cause it to bog and run rough due to too much or not enough fuel..

Id go through both carbs imho.

Well I went thru the carb tonight and check hoses and connections. Nothing stood out to be a major problem, Carb was clean and Jets were also clean. I was amazed on how clean everything looked. I will take it out tomorrow with the family and see how it works.

I need some other help. I need more prop. The prop on there now is a 9x10. I cant find anything higher than an 11 pitch. Does anyone have any Ideas? it is a 76 Johnson 25hp model 25e76e.

Help

Latest posts