2001 25hp Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samw

Reaction score
Got my new to me boat home Sunday, been doing alot of cleaning and removing the old decks and carpet the PO had installed{all rotten}and all of the fuel lines also. I have been searching for a factory service manual for the motor and I have come up empty. I got an email back today telling me the manual for the 2001 is no longer available. I haven't been able to find one on ebay or amazon either. I downloaded a generic manual just for some general info to start with and I found that they made a 2cylinder and 3cylinder 25hp in 2001. Is one any better than the other? I have the 2 cylinder version and I was wondering what the reason was for making 2 versions of the same horsepower? Thanks,
Sam

Found a 2000 25 hp Johnson (2 cyl) service manual. Is that close enough?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-Johnson-Outboard-9-9-15-25-30-HP-Service-Manual-2000-00-9-9HP-15HP-25HP-30HP-/320979408683?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item4abbdd172b&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• 30hp manual 2000.JPG
    30hp manual 2000.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 393
I saw that one too, I'm not familiar enough with these motors to know if it would be the same or not. That's when I found out about The 3 cylinder model.

Do a search function - it has been discussed here before. From Pappy:

NautiBuoys - Your mechanic is correct in this case. Pull it off and go on with life. I currently have 4 of those engines. Two have the injection on them but I am not running those engines yet. When I do it will come off. At least start adding oil to your gasoline in addition to the injection. Those engines are few and far between and well worth preserving in top condition. I would not "bet" my powerhead and the cost of rebuilding it on that system. They are about the fastest and most powerful 25/35 on the water. If you question whether I know what I am talking about...........read my profile. Was there during that era.
Johny25 - There was still a 2-cylinder engine manufactured and sold in 1997, am thinking they were 20 and 30hp though. Few 3-cylinders were sold compared to
2-cylinders. Alot of the dealer network never even knew about the 3-cylinder or hardly knew about them. Terrible marketing back then. The 3 cylinder was expensive to build and when you are geared to selling based on horsepower alone there was very little profit margin in selling the 3-cylinder. Oh, and chances are that anything bad you heard about those engines is related to the oil injection one way or another. They are rockets on the water and as long as they have at least 50:1 or more the will live the good life!

Spent most of the day yesterday working on the motor, new fuel lines new filter and fresh gas with seafoam and stabil and she runs perfect. The water pump works fine, forward and reverse gears work smooth all in all I think it si a solid little motor. Thanks guys for all your input. Now its time to correct all of the problems the PO made on the hull. Just trying to get it where I can use it for now and modify it this winter. I've got a lot of great ideas from some of the builds I've seen here.

Latest posts