Another CL Find 1975 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Well last week I found a deal that I could not pass up that included a 15 hp Evinrude electric start, but the pull start had been removed so I have been on the hunt for a parts motor as the pull start assembly is around $200 new and haven’t been able to find one used on ebay hence the cruising of craigslist. Well look what I found! A 1975 9.9 Johnson that was locked up. Well off to take a look I go and it came home with me tonight. Pulled the plugs and the top plug came out with rust all around it so sprayed PB Blaster and decarb in both cylinders, worked the flywheel a little and bam it came free. I filled them back up with lube and pulled the carb off, with the rust I found in the top cylinder I was expecting the carb to be totally gummed but I was wrong! It was totally spotless! Even though it still had the cork float. So I put it all back together sprayed all linkages with PB Blaster as they were all just about stuck but now moving freely. Then I took the air hose and blew out both cylinders, man the crap that came out of the top cylinder, did this a couple times more until crap stopped coming out then check fire and compression, good on both. Put the plugs back in and bam third pull she was running, a little coughing and spitting at first but running just fine. Killed it pulled the plugs blew the cylinders out again and recheck compression, and all good and she fired back up on the first pull! So now will get new fuel lines carb kit & water pump kit. Sorry not going to tell yall what I paid for this one, don’t want anyone mad at me! And yes I am still looking for a pull rope assembly for the 15hp.

Have a look>>>>>>>>>>>>>
9.9 1.jpg
9.9 2.jpg
9.9 3.jpg

Man what deals you've been finding. Do you go looking with a ski mask and gun? I search Craig's list every morning.

Ok picked up carb and water pump kit have some honey-doos now so will start on it late this evening.

Got everything changed, pulled the flywheel to check the points good thing I did as one had no gap at all. Set both 20 thousands then put flywheel back on without changing the key just to see and guess what yep it broke. I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I can't believe these need to be replaced every time the flywheel is removed. Anyway pulled it back off and replaced it the had a hard time firing it back up. When it did fire up it wouldn't idle. It is amazing how well these motors will run on one cylinder! Pulled the spark plug on the top cylinder while running and no change. So killed it and checked the spark again to find none on the top cylinder. I found a crack from top to bottom on the top coil.

Question, would you change both coils or just the bad one?

Just change the bad one, the other may run for years if it doesn't show signs of being hot.

I agree....just change the one. I have a 1975 6hp evinrude. I had one that cracked and I stuck it in an oven at low heat for a day. I then sealed it with epoxy and been doing good for couple of years now.

Hey ramrod
I found this when looking for my outboard. It called Leroy's ramblings.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson%209.9_15.htm

It might help out some

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323075#p323075 said:
Attwanl » Yesterday, 21:03[/url]"]I agree....just change the one. I have a 1975 6hp evinrude. I had one that cracked and I stuck it in an oven at low heat for a day. I then sealed it with epoxy and been doing good for couple of years now.
I had one on a Mercury like that and couldn't find a replacement. After several days of riding it around on the dash of my truck in the hot summer sunlight I said what the heck and sealed it with epoxy also. To the best of my knowledge it is still running also. If you keep them from getting hot and cracking and moisture getting in there they pretty much keep on going.

No problem and thank you ... I'm. Coping the jack plate you made. Oh yea i bought that 9.8 nissan 4-stroke. But had to by the whole rig. Wooden boat and trailer.

Asked at the service department when I went to pick up some new keys and the mechanic said to use an unpack to reinstal. I did and even remove a couple times. All good now. I just wasn't getting it tight enough.

Latest posts