6 Gallon fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03sp500

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im a newbie. I love this site and have learned an awful lot already, I hope to be able to contribute to it as well as I go.

I just got a Sea Nymph 14R with a 15 hp Johnson last weekend. very happy with what I got. The gentleman was very nice to deal with, he gave me a metal fuel tank that I think is original with the motor. I would like to switch to a plastic 6 gallon tank. I went to westmarine and they have a deal on a Attwood "low permeation" tank. doing a little check I found that some people say its not the tank to get. I would have to buy a new style hose with a pressure regulator built in and special tank connectors which puts the price at about 125.00 (tank is 44.69). I can surf the net and find regular tanks for about 50.00.

So my question is (yes there is a question) has anyone else ran into this issue and what does everyone think about this new type tank?.

Attachments

• IMG_20130713_191700_402.jpg
    IMG_20130713_191700_402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,987
Never heard of that style before. I went to Academy and bought a 6 gal (probably Attwood) a few years ago. Check with them.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_586253_-1__?N=574973169

This tank does not come with a fitting for the fuel line because different motors (johnson versus yamaha etc.) take different fittings but I think the are 5 or 10 bucks. If your fuel line is really old, you may want to replace it too. Now those cost almost as much as a tank.

I too have the tank that Moe linked and I haven't had or heard any issues with it. It's nice because it fits under my rear deck.

Can you explain the reason people are saying it's not the one to get?

From what I have read people are saying that the cap only vents after 5psi build up. one gguy said sitting in the sun light fuel started sprayiong into the engine from the pressure (that seemed odd) they said a special hose is needed that has some sort of pressure regulaor in it. I understand the different fittings the hose assembly I havce is still very good. the fitting on my metal tank is fine and should transfer nicely. this whole buying a 65.00 hose and a "special" universal connector for the tank to hose connection is what is gettin g me.

I read this review

Danger, Will Robinson!
These are non-venting tanks. You will have to use special aviation sealant, a special in-line pressure regulator and have lots of luck to get these temperamental tanks to simply operate.
I purchased two of these tanks last month. They have caused me NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS! These crazy tanks OVERPRESSURE the engines fuel system and spill gas all over the place. I know these are EPA compliant, BUT SO WHAT, I REALLY DON'T CARE! As a boater I want/demand a fuel system that is reliable. A simple and well designed gas tank is an essential component to achieving a reliable fuel system. This Rube Goldberg version of a gas tank has so many specialized components that there's a lot that can and DOES go wrong. These tanks have spilled more gas in the past month, than I've spilled in forty years of boating.
One of my tanks completely over pressurized and spewed its entire contents into my boat. Pools of fuel stream from the engine into the lake during every start because the tanks over pressurize the carb.(My motors are both two stroke, Yamahas; 5hp and 25HP).
If you want reliability, stay away from this piece of JUNK. Obviously the folks at the EPA aren't Boater's. And too bad that the mariners at West Marine didn't do a better job of vetting these ventless tanks. If you're on your way to buy one, allow me to save you a trip, as West Marine only carries this one brand of tank.

there is also a video from west marine I will try to find and post next

While in operation I dont see how there would be a large build up of pressure, and I have noticed that pressure does build up inside the tank. The way I fix this is by loosening the cap and relieving the pressure before operation. I haven't noticed any problems with how I do it. If you are worried about pressure build up while not in use could one not simply leave the cap a little loose? Maybe it's not the ideal solution but I havent noticed any huge issues.

How many gallons is the metal one? Why not just use it? I have a 6 gallon metal tank in my boat, no probs with it yet...

The metal tank is 6 gallons I just dont know how rusty it is inside it looks very old. I was gonna actually get the plastic one and see if an older cap might fit. If not then loosing the cap may be the way to go.

Keep a eye on craigslist. I picked up a plastic 9 gal tank for $25 a few weeks ago.

When i traded offf my junk 40hp Johnson for a new Yamaha I kept the metal gas tank.i changed the moter end to a Yamaha end and went from there.Just keep you metal tank till you need a new one.Those metal tanks are better than the plastic ones in my opinion.if i need a newone someday I will then buy a plastic

sitting in the sun they do puff up. i drilled a 1/8 hole in the top - seemes to be enough to relive the pressure - and it vents when the motor is running - 5o horse Honda--

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322912#p322912 said:
Rich27028 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:33 am[/url]"]sitting in the sun they do puff up. i drilled a 1/8 hole in the top - seemes to be enough to relive the pressure - and it vents when the motor is running - 5o horse Honda--
By "TOP" do you mean the cap?

I just looked again at the one I linked. It is different than the one I bought a few years ago. The one I have, has a vented cap.

A couple of months ago someone posted this link and I put it in my favorites with the intent of buying one this year. I think I'll have to pass on it now though as when I saved this link, the price on this metal tank was $50 but I guess someone decided they weren't charging enough or that the consumers were desperate enough to pay more.
https://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/custom-6-gallon-steel-vented-marine-boat-gas-tank-w-fuel-gauge

Yeah that sure seems pricey for a metal tank. I think with a little searching around on CL one would be able to find one much cheaper.

Welcome, and congratulations.

Stop right there. :)

You just got the rig. Your current tank is fine. While I understand and appreciate, AND share :? , the compulsion to buy stuff for it, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Use the boat/ motor/ tank...and meander through craig's list over the rest of the summer...then, if you really really need to, buy another tank.

I'm pretty sure after a few weeks or months of using it, you'll have a list of stuff you want to do/buy/modify.

Have fun, be safe.

Kismet I totally agree with you on that. I looked in the metal tank last night due to everyone saying use the metal tank. Half way up the tank on the top is a lot os rust looks like it sat with only 1/2 tank.

But on with the good news, I went back to West Marine to look at the tank again and while I was there another guy looked at me looking at the tank and said "you need a tank but dont want to buy a new one like that right" I chuckled and said how'd ya know. he said that 44.99 for the tank was a good dealthen reached up and took off a hook a replacement gas cap and handed it to me. he said I did this. looking at the cap it says for use with pre 2010 tanks. its got a vent and it fits great. 9.49 for the cap. done deal.

i just went through all this myself...

i remember being able to buy a plastic 6 gallon tank for like 20 bucks!!

i looked 3 different places... a boat dealership, academy and walmart...ended up getting it at walmart for $45..... i HATE the fact that they are not vented... i will be looking for a vented cap...screw the EPA... i dont want my tank swelling up...i did notice however that the tank says that pressure building is designed in to the tank...

i will add....if you need a fuel line, get one now...based on experience i never skimp on fuel lines and fittings..at the dealership service department the guy gave me 2 options for a fuel line...35 bucks for the lat one that he had on the shelf... he said after that all hes got is the new federally mandated super duper special something or another bright blue hose for 65 bucks!!! i asked him if i should have any concerns with the 35 dollar one...he said absolutely not, its what he would use...

sidenote...not sure what it is but the fuel lines, primer bulbs, and fittings cost me a tourney one time... my motor would not run for crap...just had the motor serviced, ran fine... long story short, swapped out to a mercury brand fuel line and fittings, it ran fine........ ever since then i am a firm believer in you get what you pay for...so i choose to pay a little more for the fuel line...now, the tank on the other hand i havent used it yet and i hate it!!! i will be searching for a better tank but i needed a tank now...

Latest posts