1954 J Coil 2.5K ohms-girl help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd421

Reaction score
Hey guys been working on my motor all night trying to troubleshoot why I can't get a spark. Got new plugs, set the points and also lined them up with the flywheel notches, so I tested the coils....

The primary test pegs out the voltmeter to 0, but it should be on .9 I read.

The secondary test, one lead on the ground and the other on the spark plug attachment point, and the voltmeter on RX 1K ohm. It reads 2.5. ON BOTH OF THEM. I read it is supposed to be 7.64k ohms

Can anyone help a girl out?

I don't have the meter to check the condenser.

Also is the top spark plug for No. 1 cylinder? And the front coil sparking No. 1 cylinder? Front being the one closest to you when you stand facing the faceplate.

This is for a 1954 Johnson 5.5 hp

I would replace both coils and be done with it. They are cheap. Like 20 bucks a piece online. Then you will know they are good. Just because something looks nice doesnt mean its good.

Steve

Well I was trying to avoid that cause I already got 120 bucks into it so far. And I was just fixing it up to sell. Now I will be compelled to keep it. But this is really puzzling me. I even checked to make sure they had the right coils in there. And they did.

Can anyone help?