%#@!* motor!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Wolf

Reaction score
I picked up a '84 Johnson 15hp electric start in the spring. It started every time I tried it ether in the barrel or lately on the muffs. I spent the last 3 months fixing the trailer and putting a new floor in the boat. I took it out once a couple of weeks ago when I was testing for leaks. It started hard and gave me some trouble but I figured it was old gas and the fact that the gas fitting kept coming off. (broken spring) I dumped out the old gas mixed up fresh gas and added some seafoam. It seemed to run OK on the muffs and I disconnected the gas line and ran it dry. When I put the boat in yesterday..... nothing. I couldn't even get it to "pop". Needless to say the wife was not impressed.
I'm totally disgusted. I don't have the time, patience or expertise to tackle myself so I'm going to drop it off with a guy in the garage at work who is very good with motor of all kinds and let him have at it.

I'll post the root cause when I get it fixed.

That's for letting me blow off some steam.

Seems to be getting fuel. I've tried the usual suspects, the vent is open.
Acts like its not getting spark.
I'm too hot, tired and p#%%ed to deal with it.
I'll let my buddy at work look at it.

Man that stinks, hopefully its something simple, I finally got a motor for my boat ive been fixing up, and the motor runs great its a 2004 mercury 15 , but my novice self didn't check the tilt before I bought it, and of course the tilt is seized bc the guy before me lost a grease fitting, and didn't fix it.

these toys get too expensive to fast.

I dropped it off Monday and my friend brought it back on Tuesday said it was all done. He cleaned and re-gapped the plugs and adjusted the float. Said he ran it on muffs for about 15 minutes and it restarted no problem. I fired it up on the muffs myself and it does seem to run nicely. Finally got it out on the lake today and opened it up. Ran nice, with the wife and I we hit between 15 an 19 mph depending on whether we were headed into the wind or not. Seemed to take a few second to get up on plane but it did. With just me I hit 21mph

I'll take it out crabbing tomorrow and see how she does.

Latest posts