Running on one cylinder - 68' 6hp evinrude 6802R

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
Ive had this engine for over a year now and it has always ran fine. On my latest trip the outboard ran fine for me but when I started it to head home I could tell it didnt have much power. I shut it off and trolling motored all the way home. I started it up today and pulled the spark plug to figure out which cylinder it is. The top spark plug isnt sparking, does that mean the coil is bad? Would it just go bad at anytime? Do I need a flywheel removal tool to replace the coil?

I know this is an older post but if you dont have an answer yet, maybe I can help.

I as well have an Evinrude. Mine is a 1966 Fastwin, 18hp. I am new to outboards completely. I have had a lot of assistance from other members. This is what I have learned.

I lost all power a few weekends ago. So that started my troubleshooting. I had 60 psi of compression in one cylinder and 45 in the other. I pulled off the cylinder head and had it machined. It was warped!! the guy ended up taking 4,000ths off to make it true. I replaced the gasket, and placed the head back on and I now have 120psi compression in each cylinder.

I was also having some other issues with the motor and I have recently removed the flywheel. Why, you ask? In order to get to the coils, condensers, points, etc, you have to remove that flywheel.

Do not use a "jaw like" puller for removing that flywheel.....you'll damage the wheel. Instead you will want to use a Harmonic Balancer Puller. I just picked one up this past weekend at the local auto part store. It was like $17. that did the job perfectly. You will want to buy (3) 3-4" grade 8 bolts to use rather than the bolts the puller comes with. Grade 8 is a lot stronger. Once you pull the flywheel off, you can check the magneto