9.9 johnson will not even 'pop'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpijan

Reaction score
I have a 74 johnson 9.9 that ran decent when I bought it. I took the fuel pump apart and rebuilt that because I thought that was the problem, and it ended up being my fuel tank's pickup tube had fallen off. So I replaced the pickup tube sealed/secured that, and ended up rebuilding the fuel pump. The fuel pump passed the 'test' where you should only be able to flow through the inlet and have air come out the outlet, but not the reverse. When I prime the tank bulb gas shoots out the pumps outlet. When I pull the starter with the outlet disconnected, the motor pulls fuel through the pumps outlet, although much less gas comes through than if I am priming, it doesn't really shoot out when pulling the starter as it does when priming, just a little comes out each pull. No gas comes out the middle hole on the back side of the mounting plate of the fuel pump.

I have 2 brand new recommended ngk spark plugs installed and gapped to 0.030". I tested spark by removing plugs but keeping them connected to the plug wires and it shocked me when my buddy pulled the starter.

I tested the compression at 75psi on both cylinders; seems kinda low but should be plenty to run considering it ran only a couple a days ago pretty good.

Is it possible even the gas is coming out of the pump outlet that it's not going through the carb? I'm pretty lost here since it won't even try to fire.

The float could be stuck in the carb. They can stick closed. Try squirting some gas in the carb and see if it does anything.

Steve

Just because a coil generates enough spark to give you a good jolt, that doesn't mean the ign system is working well enough to make the motor run. The spark needs to be a heavy blue arch that will jump across a ¼" or so gap. Are the plugs getting wet with gas when you try to start it or are they always dry. If they're dry, the fuel is not getting to the cylinders regardless of how well the fuel pump or anything else is working in the fuel system.

Latest posts