First time post, long time member

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therobzilla

Reaction score
I just got given to me a 1986 Johnson 15 hp motor, a very generous friend had two motors and did not want the 15 hp. It's is amazing shape for a 1986, it was stored on a much larger boat as a kicker motor in case things went wrong with the big motor. The best part of the motor is that it was stored in a watertight storage box, and saw very little if any use. When taking the cover off the motor it looks new, the gear oils everything is like brand new. Previous owner was very meticulous about taking care of the motor.

However there is one issue, the prop is toast, it's bent and the blades are scared and damaged, the prop is stamped as a 9 1/2" x 10", based on what I have read it's a 9 1/2" diameter with a pitch of 10.

When looking for a replacement prop, I find the same size as stamped on the original prop, and it runs around $90.00 to my door shipped, however most of the prop companies offer a 9 1/4" x 10 prop for half the price. I'm new to the changing of prop diameter size, will changing to a smaller diameter prop make that much difference with this motor?

Sorry for the newb question, but what I reading is conflicting information.

Could anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Spend quite a bit of time reading all the tech off this site, finally have a question.

Rob

I doubt you will notice a difference with the diameter.. What I did find though was with an aftermarket prop on my 9.9, there is a lot of blade flex or cavitation and it takes forever to get to top speed.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323447#p323447 said:
GYPSY400 » Yesterday, 08:04[/url]"]I doubt you will notice a difference with the diameter.. What I did find though was with an aftermarket prop on my 9.9, there is a lot of blade flex or cavitation and it takes forever to get to top speed.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to stick with the stock sized prop at this point.

Thanks
Rob