which motor would u buy? 15hp 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
i am choosing between:

88 model evinrude 15hp with new coils and powerpack that runs good for $475

99 model 15 Johnson with a broken skeg and has been in saltwater... otherwise runs good and its the original owner. $550

I know the evinrude is made in the good ole days where they actually took pride in their work.. the Johnson im afraid not so much. which would u choose?

I'd go with the freshwater motor.. But it's really a crappy time of year to be shopping for one. There are better deals come fall and winter.

Look for the souped up 9.9 from that era. Don't get the one with the broken self.

I'd go with the '88 if it is in good condition...be sure to check the compression. Mine is a '74 and runs great now that I cleaned out the carb good =D>

The price of $475 is a good one, at least here in central NC. Mine was more than that (I won't say how much more, but I needed a motor, so... :roll: )

Another vote for the 88. There was a sense of pride back then, motor was build by people who made a career of it. 99 was about rock bottom for what was omc. Saltwater use is a bummer too, and broken skeg makes me wonder about the previous owners habits.

go with the rude. broken skeg and saltwater makes it easy for me. and im with the rest who said the 88 was built back at the end the good ole days when they were built like brick s***houses to run forever with minimal care....

Latest posts