Tansom Pad... Anyone use one good or bad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03sp500

Reaction score
I took my boat out for the first time yesterday and was very happy with how she handled.(14 ft Sea Nymph 15hp Johnson) But I noticed a vibration in the motor at a certain rpm that vibrated the boat pretty good. I don't think it is anything bad just a 2 stroke. but it was annoying cause it was at a good cruising speed. Looking online I found a rubber pad called transom pad. Moeller, CR and Tempo all make them. it goes over the transom and the motor clamps over it. says it should insulate the vibration. anyone here ever use one or had good or bad experiences with one.

Thank you for any info.

Don't have any experience with them, but I would think that the rubber would "squish" out under the clamps and you would be constantly be tightening it down. Most people I know put ply wood on the back of the transom under the motor.
If its vibrating that bad, is the prop ok ?

Its not that bad it comes in and goes out in a very small rpm range. I did read that one guy had his slide and the motor came loose, saved it by a safety chain. That's the part that gets me nervous.

Anything soft enough to insulate vibrations is soft enough to allow your motor to fall off. If your gonna do it at least bolt on your motor and safety chain it. Maybe try 1/2 marine or exterior plywood cut to fit. I just am really nervous to put a gimic in that important of a role. Also if your motor vibrates that badly maybe you need a prop?

I too am hesitant of using something that squishes out. If I cut a piece of wood to fit should I attach the wood first ? Or will just clamping it with the motor be enough? The motor doesn't vibrate bad at all, it is just one spot in the throttle that has am annoying resonance. If I twist the throttle a little bit either way its nice and smooth . I do have a safety chain but don't to test it out.

Yes, attach the wood first, prefferably with Stainless Bolts. I'm actually in the process of doing this right now. I got a 1/2'' sheet of BCX exterior plywood, cut to shape, treat with spar urethane, and bolt on. I will then bolt the motor on with bigger stainless screws with stainless washers on the inside on the transome. I will post pics soon. Good luck!

I went to the farm store and got a piece of rubber belting. It was about a 1/4 inch thick and then I use stainless screws to fasten it. The reason I did this was I raised the transom and the cap on the top of transom has a joint under it. It has been on the boat for 3 years and my motor has never came loose