1971 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman model 6102E

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has always been a great little motor. It probably has less than 100 hours on it. Sorry to say, the last time it powered a boat was about 7 yrs ago and at that time it would bog down at high power settings. I looked at the fuel pump and the diaphragm was torn. Replaced that, but never started it again until a few days ago.

I'm trying to get it going again. Got it in the barrel and it started on the second pull, but still has no power. Fresh gas mixed 50:1. I bought an OMC carb kit (with float) and did the OH (I think the float is adjusted correctly). I haven't replaced the 6J-6 plugs yet, but I seem to be getting good spark.

Motor idles great and starts easy, just doesn't run well at high power. Vent is open on external tank. I tried removing the flywheel cover to look at the points, but even with a gear puller, I can't get the cover off. I don't really want to get medieval with it...

One thing I have noticed is if I lift the cowling and more air gets to the carb, it starts running better. as soon as I drop the cowl back down, it starts to bog down again...

Latest posts