No ignition

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
Just came back from a week of fishing. During that time, we fished two lakes in one day and my Honda BF15 manual start ran flawlessly. It started each time on the first pull even at 7000-9000 feet elevations! The very next day at the same lakes, no start but continued fishing with the oars and trolling motor like a true fisherman! :lol:

I checked the motor today and the plugs are wet so was getting gas. The bulb did get hard and softer as I tried the pull rope.

I checked for spark at the plugs and nothing on either plug.

Now comes the old phart part. On older cars, the coil had a + and - post with the coil wire to the distributor in the center. This Honda motor has a CDI ignition with two wires in and two plug wires out. I measured across the two wires in and found what I suspect is the primary side and it measured .8 ohms resistance which according to online manual on this website (thank you for the link) is within specs. I measured what I think is the secondary side which is the two output wires to the plugs which is supposed to be about 30K ohms but found a solid 0 ohm short across the two output leads to the plugs. I also tried measuring from input side to plug side but all leads are open with no continuity.

While pulling on the starting rope, I can measure about 20VDC on one of the input wires and a high resistance ground on the other wire.

Does this sound right? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Remeasured secondary side again with another VOM and now reads 8900 ohms which is still off from about the required 30K ohms. Going to tinker with the motor tomorrow before ordering a new coil.

Re-measured secondary side this time with plug wires attached and got a reading of 28K ohms which is more in line with the manual. I re-measured input voltage into the coil from the CDI unit and this time came up with about 60vdc but still no spark at the plugs when I ground them to the engine case.

Could two spark plugs actually go bad at the same time? Maybe it's a combination of bad coil and plugs? I hate electrical problems.

Am not familiar with your engine. Is there a kill switch involved?Just to be sure no effect on ignition .

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324444#p324444 said:
WaterWaif » Today, 07:53[/url]"]Am not familiar with your engine. Is there a kill switch involved?Just to be sure no effect on ignition .

I traced the wiring from the kill/dead man's switch and verified that it works. I don't know how many times I've tried to start my boat motors without the dead man's switch in place! :roll:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324456#p324456 said:
nomowork » 01 Aug 2013, 12:16[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324444#p324444 said:
WaterWaif » Today, 07:53[/url]"]Am not familiar with your engine. Is there a kill switch involved?Just to be sure no effect on ignition .

I traced the wiring from the kill/dead man's switch and verified that it works. I don't know how many times I've tried to start my boat motors without the dead man's switch in place! :roll:
Hate it when that happens!.
Friend and i use to borrow his dads out board and take turns forgetting to turn gas on. #-o

Congrats!. =D> i,m now adding new plugs to the list,to replace used spares carried in boat.
Happy boating to you.

Latest posts