88 15hp Evinrude motor mount problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
Model E15RCCS

Got this motor the other day on craigslist for $450 and it runs flawlessly. When I put it on my boat I noticed there was about 1/2" of play when rocking the motor front to back. After researching on the net, I came to the conclusion that the motor mount is broken. I have read how big of a job it is to replace because u have to take the power head off. I'm wondering if I should fix it or can I keep on running the motor without messing up anything? Here's a couple pics before and after the makeover

IMG_20130726_133718_048_zps51d9081d.jpg

IMG_20130726_133723_661_zps68eb9789.jpg

IMG_20130726_133742_989_zps32a8e528.jpg

IMG_20130727_181138_580_zps47a43d46.jpg

It is normal to have a little play in motor even when in lock down position. I am not sure if you are talking about powerhead mounts though? Can you be more specific as to where the play is at and what mounts you are thinking on replacing, are we talking about the lower lateral mounts on the midsection.......upper mounts?

Snapchat-423_zps24b7aeb7.jpg

I think its the upper mounts. There is a rubber groment in that area and it the play goes in and out of the rubber groment. Its kinda hard to explain but I hope u get the picture

you may just need new grommets......and as said before there will be a little bit of forward/backwards movement even when all is sound and in good shape.

Well I'm almost certain my motor mount is broken. My motor will no longer shift into reverse. Which parts do I need to replace on the boats.net diagram for my motor 88 model 15hp evinride E15RCCS

My advice is to take it apart first before you order anything. And I am speaking from experience on this. You will likely find or possibly break other little parts in the process due to the motors age. So take it all apart and make a list when you get all the way in. This is not a super easy fix if I remember correct because the powerhead may have to be removed also which means new powehead to exhaust gasket at minimum in that case.

Don't be scared off by powerhead removal, it sounds hard but it really isn't that bad. the toughest thing is usually breaking the gasket to exhaust loose as it can really be stuck together after 20 plus years. There are tricks to do this and when you get to it we will all help you. As long as you are in fair physical condition the powerhead on a 15hp can be lifted straight up and off with no lift or chain fall.

yea its very intimidating when dealing with taking off a powerhead, especially when the largest job ive done is a impeller and powerpack exchange. I will definitely use y'alls help if needed. wish me luck

I have one in the shop right now with the same issue. Failed upper motor mount. Same symptoms.
Pull the powerhead, replace the mount, and while you are there go with new water tube grommet or grommets as they are always in need of replacement.
Good time to change out the fuel lines as well as routing them will be easy.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326649#p326649 said:
erictetterton » Yesterday, 18:25[/url]"]yea its very intimidating when dealing with taking off a powerhead, especially when the largest job ive done is a impeller and powerpack exchange. I will definitely use y'alls help if needed. wish me luck
Up until a couple of years ago, I was in the same situation as you, not having done much more than pulling coils or carbs off of an outboard. Then I acquired this motor.

9796fca9-90ad-46b7-b7dd-b5f52cd62a0a_zpsdc3ec36f.jpg

A few days later, it wasn't much more than a pile of parts laying in the floor.

DSC00226.jpg

I replaced the parts it needed, cleaned and painted assorted pieces, and began the reassembly. Now it looks like this and runs like new.

72e6e0cf.jpg

63c4749e.jpg

The worst part of the whole job was dealing with the anxiety of whether I could do the job or not. I found that for me, it helps if you take lots of pics at different stages of disassembly to use as a reference during the assembly.

Beautiful job on the merc. I'm very anxious about getting started. I'm just gonna take a bunch of pictures and use a bolt bucket. I pray no bolts break off when disassembling

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326709#p326709 said:
Pappy » Today, 10:43[/url]"]I have one in the shop right now with the same issue. Failed upper motor mount. Same symptoms.
Pull the powerhead, replace the mount, and while you are there go with new water tube grommet or grommets as they are always in need of replacement.
Good time to change out the fuel lines as well as routing them will be easy.

just curious as to how much the shop estimated the repair at?

Would probably be no more than two hours tops and that would include replacing the grommets and fuel lines while there.
If your engine is a salt water engine then the grommets are a must. Good news is that they will or should not take more than a few more minutes.

Just a heads up........just because pappy can do it in 2 hours do not get frustrated if it takes you 4 or more :lol: Pappy is no novice so his time estimate is going to be less than what it will likely take you. Take your time and get it right the first time. And the advice on replacing grommets and other parts while in there is very good advice.

I am not a black motor fan but very nice work on that 200 JMichael =D>

I had a few minutes to work on the motor today so I started by taking the lower unit off. The shift linkage wasnt connected so that's why it wasn't shifting into reverse. There is still a lot of play in the motor so I'm going to remove the power head and replace the upper motor mount. I'm going to take my time and hopefully enjoy my first big motor project