1985 Merc 80hp remote w/ tilt and trim - Opinions Wanted

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Well, in my search for an outboard for my project, I stumbled upon a boat, trailer and motor that is being sold dirt cheap. I'm a little skeptical, but who knows, I may have just found the deal of the year. It is a 1985 (he thinks) Mercury 80hp outboard with controls that is currently on a boat (I will give that away or junk it). He said it has run 5 times this year, but needs a tune up. He said it definitely needs new plugs and needs the carb cleaned. He said it was "missing a little, but that could be from it sitting for 2 years." According to him, compression is good (I will check), and the lower unit was replaced (maybe just fluids) this year. Tilt and trim work and the fluids were changed this year as well.

Here's the rub, my boat is only rated for 30hp, but I was thinking if everything checked out, get it, and trade it for a 30. If nothing else, would it be possible to use the controls, tilt/trim, on another outboard? Would it have to be a Mercury of the same era? I'm a complete noob to this, and would appreciate your input.

BTW, what would you pay for this motor? Yes, I know it's hard to tell without seeing the actual unit, but assume it needs new plugs and a carb rebuild.

Thanks for your time.

Unless the tilt/trim is aftermarket it is doubtful that it will work on a 30. Most likely you are thinking about buying something that will be a boat anchor or a wheelbarrow full of parts if you can't actually use a motor that size if you can't sell it.

Thanks for the input. The boat sold before I could get to see it. Just an FYI, he had it all listed for $200. I thought I would buy it, sell the trailer for $200, and have a free motor. Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking.

---He said it was "missing a little, but that could be from it sitting for 2 years.---

When I bought my tin for $500, it came with two motors which both ran! The boat was sitting in a backyard, uncovered, for over twenty years! The primary 18hp ran but would quit after several minutes so I figured it was a fuel issue. The 4hp kicker ran with no issues. I sold the 18hp for $75 after I tried to give it away free on this forum and sold the 4hp for $200. Sitting a few years would be no issue with me as long as the crank turns and the price is cheap enough.

Latest posts