1973 9.5 sea horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH-PLAY

Reaction score
Is a quarter to a half inch really going to make that much of a difference? (all depends on motor adjustment). My only thought is maybe the cav plate has to be level no matter what. And maybe motor not putting out enough hp.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376871824.741072.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376871839.443278.jpg

Only pushing a 12ft Starcraft. I know I have to try weight displacement too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376872093.119433.jpg

No, the cavitation plate does not have to be level. Or do you mean even with the bottom of the boat? Regardless....here is your base line.
Take your trim pin and install it in the hole nearest the hull and start there. Run, evaluate acceleration and speed, change the placement of load as necessary.
Place the trim pin in the next hole out and repeat. Wherever your best overall performance is ..... that is where the cavitation plate will end up.
Height wise, above or below....not much difference until that measurement becomes excessive.

Yes to the bottom of the boat. I know about the pin that is y I said depends on motor height, should have been more clear. I did adjust the motor with the pin and didn't get much out of it. I think it's hp problems but will report back next weekend. Going to killington vt for golf this weekend.

So here is the new height just a temp till we do final mods to boat. Now I believe sits a quarter to half inch above bottom of boat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377080082.821017.jpg

So went out today, first time in long time for us. Started out great the temp motor jack worked wicked awesome. So said to my buddy lets go to other side of lake since motor is doing great and the reply was... Ok. So off we go first about 20 min to get out past no wake zone, and then off we fly....... Get to spot about 20 min later after more no wake and some large under water boulders. And that was it for fun......
So after a while of fishing talking about how good the new jack for motor went and stuff like that... Then no sooner the shear pin for the trolling motor broke (just bought new one this spring 55lb minn) with no pin and nothing but fishing gear we thought and thought and finally said " let's try a hook" reply "ok" we did and it worked, knew it was just a hook now and had to take easy on her for the day now. More fishing took place and went to move, so go to start the motor and this happen ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378584676.130661.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1378584705.384514.jpg

So the day went to ****..
Ohh and did I mention we went to the other side of the lake.. So now we had a jimmy rigged trolling motor, only a hook for the shear pin..

I'm not sure what the piece is called. It is a black plastic pice (of course plastic) that comes up to the fly wheel when u pull start. But have a new one on the way from London for $18. The one in the states cost double that and then throw shipping in on top of that.

It is commonly known as a starter pinion gear.

It is made of plastic so it is destroyed rather than the more expensive flywheel (and I think it is considerably cheaper to make and they can still charge a crap-ton of money for the dumb thing).

Latest posts