F20 Yamaha electric start, needs pull rope

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK

Reaction score
I recently acquired a tin boat with a 2007 F20 Yamaha 4 stoke motor with electric start. The boat has 2 batteries with one for the gas motor and one for the trolling motor. I want to connect the batteries for one 12v system so I can go farther on electric only lakes. However, if I do this sooner or later I will need to pull start the motor. On this motor the rope comes in a bag and you have to do a bunch of stuff to get it on the motor then pull and reattach. I want to put the rope on permanently and just leave it there where all I do is take off the cowling and pull to get underway.
Has anybody done this? Does anyone know if it is possible? Frankly, it seems pretty poor design in that the rope does not come attached from the factory but I already have the motor.

I believe (not 100% positive) that a manual starter assembly can be bolted on. But I think the cowling has to be changed as well. Shouldn't be a big deal. That way you'd have both manual start and electric start. Exactly what I did with my old style F25. Electric only is the way they came. I bought the parts on ebay to install a manual/rope starter. Bolted right on with zero modification. I can't imagine the F20 would be much different. Look also for an F15 since the F15 and F20 are identical in respect to what you're doing.

Funny thing. After I switched mine to manual/electric and removed one battery, I have found that I can troll almost all day (about 10 hours) and the single Optima will still whiz the outboard right over. But I guess if I ever needed manual start, it's there and ready.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It does look like more to do stuff than I was hoping.

I think that you will be surprised on how long it will take you to run down your battery - especially if you are not on an electric only lake

If you can run your motor you would only use your TM for maneuvering - not making a long run against the wind or such.

Keep the rope for emergency use but I would not worry about it