Johnson 70hp dies in reverse.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack17

Reaction score
Hey guys im having an issue with my Johnson 70hp its a 1980.Anyways it runs fine when i put it in forward gear and idles fine but when I go to reverse like either pulling off trailer as soon as I give it throttle it shuts off.Its driving me crazy lol.I kind of wonder if the shift/throttle cables are getting old and stiff but not sure.Any possible ideas maybe? Thanks ~Ronnie.

Does it shut off or die? I am assuming it's not a tiller. Could it be a short in the control box (if it is shutting down and not stalling)? The throttle linkages work the same way in forward and reverse, so reverse should not make any difference. Also check the wiring on the motor around the shift linkages to make sure you are not having a short from that side as well (much easier than taking apart the control box). You can also pull the cowl off the motor and manually work the throttle while in reverse to see if the problem persist.

Hey "MrTotty" thanks for the reply.Yea motor isn't a tiller.It will run in reverse around quarter throttle but give it any more and it like boggs itself out and completely shuts off.Next time I get it out I'll pull off the cowling and work throttle manually to rule out a short somewhere.I'm in the process of battling a leaky tilt cylinder cap now lol.

Latest posts