Small Celebrations ...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtyer

Reaction score
This is just a bit of public celebration. A friend had a '69 Johnson 20 hp that had not been started for about 6 years, he had no boat, no use for the motor, and no inclination to mess with it, so he gave it to me. I have no experience rebuilding outboards but decided to jump in to see what I could do.

I checked compression and spark, both good. Replaced the impeller and rebuilt the carb (that took more nerve that I thought I had). Hooked up the gas tank and pulled. Nothing. Pull, nothing ... repeat. Finally pulled the choke and it fired ... and died. Pumped the bulb and found a small leak in the fuel pump cover. Replaced cover, screen, and gasket ... pulled the choke ... pulled the cord and it fired right up! Looks like I have a good motor for about $60 worth of parts. Happiness!

Now, a question ...

The motor smokes quite a bit. I'm wondering if that will calm down after the motor warms up. Any advice will be appreciated.

What's you fuel/oil mix?

It will probably smoke less once all the crud is burned up (mice carcasses, etc.) :p

You should run some seafoam straight through the carb...

... never-mind, I forgot you were wanting less smoke. :LOL2:

It would be good to run the seafoam, though. It will smoke like crazy for a few, but it will run better after the de-carb.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327249#p327249 said:
stringtyer » Today, 14:12[/url]"]This is just a bit of public celebration. A friend had a '69 Johnson 20 hp that had not been started for about 6 years, he had no boat, no use for the motor, and no inclination to mess with it, so he gave it to me. I have no experience rebuilding outboards but decided to jump in to see what I could do.

I checked compression and spark, both good. Replaced the impeller and rebuilt the carb (that took more nerve that I thought I had). Hooked up the gas tank and pulled. Nothing. Pull, nothing ... repeat. Finally pulled the choke and it fired ... and died. Pumped the bulb and found a small leak in the fuel pump cover. Replaced cover, screen, and gasket ... pulled the choke ... pulled the cord and it fired right up! Looks like I have a good motor for about $60 worth of parts. Happiness!

Now, a question ...

The motor smokes quite a bit. I'm wondering if that will calm down after the motor warms up. Any advice will be appreciated.

best small OB's ever made.......

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327249#p327249 said:
stringtyer » Yesterday, 3:12 pm[/url]"]...

Now, a question ...

A little smoke is quite normal on an older 2 stroke. Put it on a boat and get out on the water and you won't even notice it. Congrats and enjoy.

Once it warms up it will hardly smoke

Usually takes a run on the water to do that without damage - do not rev it up on the muffs

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to put my boat on the water for the first time tomorrow to see if I can break in the repairs and get rid of some of the smoke. I'm running a 50:1 mix according in accordance with Johnson's recommendations. I've read a lot a lot about SeaFoam but don't know how to use it. Should I run it in a tank of gas (along with the oil)?

I have reasonable faith in the Johnson but, just to be safe, I'll have my trolling motor with me. I'd hate to get a mile away from Fearington Point on Lake Jordan and have the motor die. That makes for a loooonnnnggg paddle home. While I don't mind paddling a few miles in my Kayak but pushing a 1448 just doesn't sound like a good time.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Seafoam...

what a lot of people will do is warm up the motor and shoot it directly into the carb to the point of the engine almost stopping (I actually shoot it in until the engine dies) and then stop the motor. Then they will let the seafoam sit, work it's magic in the warm engine for around 5 minutes. After the allotted working time restart the motor and enjoy the smoke. This can of course be repeated up to however many times.

the other method of use is to add an ounce of seafoam to every gallon of fuel. it will then work as a stabilizer and cleaner.

the stuff is great and fun.

[youtube]q7fRdANEPrY[/youtube]

Latest posts