Choosing prop.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCgar

Reaction score
I have a 30hp long shaft with factory prop (9.8x11.3pitch). This prop is dead center in the recommended range of props according to the owners manual, it starts with 14p for "lighter boats" and down to 8p for "heavier boats". I have it on a 14x44 alweld mod v (21"transom). It's pretty darn light in my opinion, the engine is a manual start tiller so don't even have a battery. Just a floor and a small storage bench that i built and i only like to fish with one other person in the boat.
For starters I ordered a hardline tach and I'll install it once i get it. I've only taken her out once at it ran pretty good as far as this novice can tell.
My main concern is being in the correct rpm range at wot. I may be wrong but i really think it will need a different prop pitch and was thinking on getting an aluminum 4 blade 10x13p and fine tune from there. Is this a waste of money? :?

Yes it could be a waste of money. If you have a tach on the way then just wait and get the tach reading. You are likely under propped because that seems like a light setup for a 30hp but nobody can say for sure until you get a tach reading. What is the year and brand of the motor?

It's a 2000 Nissan NS 30A4. When i took it out i noticed it suddenly lost some power on the way back in at wot (going with the waves and wind to my back). Engine seemed fine but had to bring it in cause it was getting dark. checked compression and good with 125ish on both cylinders. I took the prop off and noticed the rubber kinda crystalized and crumbly on the front end (back of prop).

and my boat is smaller than yours (14 x 44) so thats why i was thinking a 13- 4 blade.

I'm know prop expert but why do you want a 4 blade prop?
I think you will lose some top end but gain a little in planeing and being able to stay on plane, at slower speeds.

I dunno, the more i research the more confused i get. Top end speed is not that important to me cause im thinking this little boat is going to scoot with any prop within range. I'd would prefer a better whole shot, gonna be doing mostly flats fishing and can get pretty shallow.
I was just thinking of getting a prop closer to what i'm thinking should be on there that way i'll be closer to the sweet spot and can fine tune once i put the tach on.
btw, i appreciate your input.

Latest posts