Older Minn Kota - trying to find a prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootbeer

Reaction score
I have a Minn Kota 65mx electric trolling motor. It looks like it was manufactured in 1991. It ran great up until two weeks ago, when the prop that was on it broke - one of the blades sheared off. I have been trying to find a replacement prop, and thought I had one, but the hub on the propeller is either too deep, or the spindle is too short. I really want a new motor, but that just isn't in the budget right now. The "internet" seems to return MKP-3 as the prop that will fit. I was hoping that someone who has experience with this motor could confirm that this is the correct prop for this motor.

So if the MKP-3 (2061151) is the right part then there is something strange about my motor. The reason I posted is that I had purchased the MKP-3 prop and while it is the correct diameter, it seems that the hub is too tall. The spindle armature on the motor is only 1 1/4" long. The prop that was on it (the one that broke), upon closer inspection seems to have been cut to the proper depth by the previous owner. The motor came with a second prop that seems to be a MKP-2 (2061121) and that prop fits, but the motor seems to vibrate quite a bit as you speed up past a trolling speed. I will try an post some pictures if that would help. I'm not sure what to do as I have tried flipping the prop 180 degrees and put in different shear pins to help reduce the vibration but this did not help.

My replacement parts sheet for the 65mx says item 28 which is part 206-1151 which this website says is prop mkp-3 vanishing replacement prop for a few motors which includes 65mx.

https://www.turtlemarine.com/minnkotamkp3.html

It is possible that someone shortened the motor shaft to fit a different prop (because most I see are cheaper than this) and widely available at walmart, etc.

To be honest, my motor vibrates when in reverse at high speed.

Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327600#p327600 said:
earl60446 » Yesterday, 14:29[/url]"]My replacement parts sheet for the 65mx says item 28 which is part 206-1151 which this website says is prop mkp-3 vanishing replacement prop for a few motors which includes 65mx.

https://www.turtlemarine.com/minnkotamkp3.html

It is possible that someone shortened the motor shaft to fit a different prop (because most I see are cheaper than this) and widely available at walmart, etc.

To be honest, my motor vibrates when in reverse at high speed.

Tim

I think you may be on to something. I did check the motor shaft and there is no play from side to side. I ran it with the prop off and there is only a very slight vibration at high speed, which I would think is normal. My plan now is to try another prop than the one I have. If that one also has as significant vibration at high speed, then I will just accept it. This motor is too old to throw a bunch of money and parts at when a new one is only a couple of hundred bucks. I'll just have to make sure I've got my oars handy and don't travel any further from the launch than I want to row.

Latest posts