flushing an outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I have a question on flushing an outboard.I flush my engine everytime i go out in salt or freshwater with dove or dawn soap to sanitize the salt.By the way the dawn or dove works wonders for saltwater.The question i have is,if i go camping and leave the motor over night or even possibily 2 days on the island and it will be full of salt,will it do any damage to the motor or will it be ok for a day or 2 on the saltwater?

I'm asking because i have never left my motor for a day or 2 with salt in it so i'm curious,plus i don't know if it makes a difference the motor will be brand new and a portable 20hp.

I've kept boats tied up at the dock for the last 30 years in saltwater.

Every few months, I'll haul them out just to clean and re-paint the hull, check the anodes, flush the engine, apply some Boe-Shield or Sea Foam spray to everything under the cowling, and at least once a year, whether it needs it or not, the water pump gets changed.

That said, water pumps will last quite a while in saltwater use, as long as you're not putting too much sand or debris through them. I don't see any issue with leaving it anchored or docked for a few days.

Latest posts