69 mercury 7.5 fuel pump conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catchaser

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has put a different style fuel pump on one of these older motors I'm just tired of thr check valves contantly clogging I've put two kits in it already

one already installed just tired of ordering parts that i have to send back. ie check valves that dont fit etc. just wondering if any ol pressure actuated pump would work

yes, any appropriate size pulse pump will work.

Here is a '55 10hp Johnson I put a fuel pump on. These pumps are cheap, too (about $10).

IMG_20130710_01156.jpg

Here is a '55 Johnson 25hp. It is hard to tell but this is a slightly larger pump.

fuel_pump.jpg

sorry to ask so many questions but im relatively new to outboards. ive been a big truck mech.for quite some time and know the fundamentals. i am a current owner of a 2003 briggs 5hp air cooled(loud pos) 1957 mark 10 (money pit) 1969 merc 75(good lil runner) and my newest one a 1966 18hp fastwin. any advice / tips on these motors would be greatly appreaciated.

I think the pump is listed as a replacement for some briggs stuff, some kind of yamahammy stuff as well.

as far as tips for the other motors, what kind of issues are you having? I don't know anything about mercs, but I am sure someone here does.

The 57 mark 10 is a non issue until I find a hood and the 18 hp fastwin just needs electical components. Now my boat on the other hand is a 1973 delhi 1636 that is about to get a rebuilt and raised transom and a front deck beginning here shortly.

Put the same fuel pump in the pretty much the same spot and she runs like a spanked ape. Gonna run her to a lake tomorrow and run her in a bit. Thanks for all the help

Cool deal!

You'll have to be careful with that pump though. The purists will tell you it does not say "marine" use on it, so it probably wont work. :LOL2:

Its the same pump as the 03 briggs 5horse I got so I don't know why it wouldn't work

Dang right it will I ran 3 gallons thru her today at the lake she ran like a top. Now just waiting for my head gaskets for my fastwin got the carb rebuilt and all spark producing parts changed. Cant wait to see what 18 horses will do with my girl

yea, that will be a good one. I need to get one in the 15-18 range. any bigger/smaller will not work well for me.
Last 2 I bought were a 20hp and then a 2.5hp. haha
one of these days I am going to find that old bargain in the range that I need.

I can't wait for the head gasket for my fastwin. I ran the 7.5 again today with my wife and son....not enough power