Winterize my motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passport

Reaction score
OK, I have a 1989 15 hp Johnson, can anyone tell me what and how to winterize it for the winter?

thanks!

you will hear many different opinions on winterizing an outboard. I have an 1980 Johnson 25hp that my grandpa bought new in 80 and all he or myself has ever done is make sure its ran out of gas( both of us have always pulled the fuel line off and let it idle itself out of gas before trailering it home) pull the plugs and put a little oil in each cylinder put new plugs on and turn the flywheel a couple revolutions to coat the cylinder walls, drain the lower and put new gear oil in and back the boat in the garage and come spring time hit the zerts with grease and its ready for the water.. mine or his garage never dropped below freezing...

some guys like to fog their motors wich pretty much is lubricating everything internally with a coat of oil/lube. to do so you just buy whatever brand you want and with the motor running you spray the fog into the carburetor until the engine dies and then your done as far as I know but ive never done it. then in the spring when you start the motor up and give it a little throttle until the motor stops smoking and your ready to go. some guys don't run their motors out of gas and instead put a fuel stabilizer in their gas but I think its not necessary because my fuel lines were 37 yrs old and never leaked or gave any signs of needing replaced before I put new ones in along with a new pump because I cracked the old one after checking the screen by getting the bolts too tight. I know guys who's boats stay outside covered all winter who drain their lowers and fill them with anti-freeze in case there was some water in the lower but if you drain your lower then theres nothing in it so I don't understand why they do that but they do. if you were gonna leave the lower oil in until spring before changing it I would store the motor somewhere the temp stays above freezing because if you do have water in your oil from a bad seal or something and it freezes your gonna be in for a nice surprise come springtime...

that's my .02 cents on it and that should help you decide what you think should be done to your motor...

im surprised nobody chimed in on this thread before I did :-?

Winter? What's that?

Shawn good advise. I used to do that when I lived up north. Down here we fish all winter. :LOL2:

I use my motor little differently then most on here I only use my boat for duck hunting. At the end of the hunting season I put my motor away for the spring and summer. I run the motor out of fuel then pull the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders and carb while turn the motor over a few times and a light coating over the whole motor. Then I change the lower unit oil and I'm done.

I didn't post because I never have winterized.
We do get winter but I guess I have just been lucky....for the last 25 years.
Outboards,chainsaws,lawn mowers...just put them away.
I'm not saying you shouldn't winterize,just saying what I have gotten away with.
I do take my outboard of the boat,from around Jan>Mar.

Latest posts