Which motor for a 14 ft. gregor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengray3

Reaction score
Which motor for a 14ft. Gregor

I am planning to refurbish an old gregor and will buy a new motor, my choises are all 20 hp w/ electric start and they will be used in so cal in the saltwater and at 7000 ft elevation in the mountains. I am interested in the following Yamaha, Honda so far both of those only come carbureted or the efi Suzuki. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I would trust a carburetor by Honda over a fuel injection by Suzuki,but that's just me......(everything around the house is almost made by Honda,lawmower,snow blower,generator,suv Pilot,pressure washer),.....look at outboards like they are cars and you for sure know where Honda is when comes to dependability. We have two Hondas, a 2010 BF2 (2 hp) and a 2011 BF25 (25 hp), all bought new and we love them !

I hope that you have as good of service from your Gregor as we have had from ours which is a Baja Special. That boat has been fishing from the lakes of Wyoming to Marlin fishing off the East Cape of Baja where it produced 10 bill fish. [9 marlin 1 sail fish]

The motor is a 1988 30 HP Evinrude which probably is more motor than you want or need. The 20 HP Honda sounds good to me.

Regards, Keith

personally, hondas dont like the salt water. believe me. i have seen too many hondas, carb, fuel pump, lower units all dont like the salt. i would also agree, older johnson/evinrude 2 stroke. watch out for the newer models with the plastic primer, and carb cover and bowl. thats the only bad things about those motors.
i would look for a johnnyrude or yamaha. the rest i would pass. if you want a four stroke the tohatsu cant be beat, and it does like the salt water. jmho
dino

Latest posts