Tough decision/need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Hello to all,well most people who have seen my posts know i want either a 20hp 4stroke suzuki or a 20hp 4stroke merc.I just found a 15hp 4stroke merc in the box for $2185 which from all the prices i have seen is a steal.I just went to a boat show to try and make a deal on a new suzuki 20hp and the prices were just in sane compared to the price at newoutboards.com of $2695.The cheapest price at the show was over $3k,it just seems no one can even come close to the price that newoutboards has.

The suzuki is what i want but i just don't know if i can pass up a 15hp merc for a hair over $2k,the thing i keep asking myself is how much will i be giving up between the 15hp merc and the 20hp suzuki.I don't know if it will make a difference but the merc has a much bigger displacement at 351 cc's compared to the suki at 327 cc's.I'm wondering if the 15hp merc will have the same power and top speed as the suki because of the larger cc's.Even if it's some what close it may be worth getting the merc for the money dif.The 20hp suki wuill be $2695 delivered to my door,the merc with tax is $2337 for a dif of $358.It's not a monster dif but it's def quite a bit of money.

I saw a youtube video with a 1436 jon boat like mine with a 15hp nissan,(same motor)and it hauled some serious butt.The hole shot was outstanding with 2 people.I just don't want to make a mistake if the 20 will be that much more of a motor.

Any advice on this one?Thanks

I'd maybe go and talk to a dealer or someone who knows those motors well and see what their opinion is. I'd personally say go for the 20hp otherwise you will always be second guessing yourself in the future, and for around $350 extra maybe its the better option for you if you can afford it. But thats just my 2 cents

I have been thinking the same,i do know the mercs have a ton of power thats why this is such a tough decision.

what is the weight difference? merc = tohatsu. so i see that the tohatsu has a lightweight 20 hp 4 stroke. somethihng to think about. not real keen on those suzukis. imho i would go tohatsu/merc the best is yamaha but you pay for it.
dino

I have a 15hp 4 stroke tohatsu on a 1544 and it does great good holeshot and 21mph with two people I did put the 18 carb on it though

I'm def going with the 20hp no matter what brand i get.That is for sure.

personally i say neither, but i'd take a suzuki over a merc any day of the week

keep in mind, the merc is much more common to find knowledgeable mechanics or useable parts (because there's more mercs than suzukis around, but also because mercs break all the time, kinda like ford :wink: )

another trade off is the merc has more aftermarket accessories & upgrades than the suzuki

if it was me, & I had to have a new motor, I'd save my pennies for a yamaha or an etec because i prefer my boat in the water not the shop...

a very reliable motor i suggest, is a used 25hp 2 stroke yamaha, you can definitely get one at or under your $2000 pricetag & it will outrun your new suzuki or merc 20 both in speed & longevity without maintenance. it would be a bit noisier though

I'll be purchasing new as well . . . JUST SAY NO . . . to old school carbureted engines . . . direct port injection is the way to go, no matter the horsepower.
My 2 cents.

Chevyrules i 'm going to have to disagree with you on the mercs,every merc i have ever owned has run flawlessly.I do love yamaha to.All the major brands of motors are built the same today,they are all built to last.If you want to get down to it,tohatsu makes more motors then anyone else,they build for merc,nissan,evinrude and of course themselves.

All the mercs and yamahas i have owned run awesome when i owned them but for the best deal tohatsu is the best for the money,i really don't want a carbed outboard though,the only carbed outboard i would even consider is a 20hp 4stroke merc because of the ratchet tilt system,it's to me untouchable and the greatest feature on a portable outboard,all tiller outboards should have that system.

FYI . . . Suzuki has just released a DF20ATL
. . . 4 stroke, long shaft, electric start, remote control, power tilt - Fuel Injected Engine
they added $300 for the power tilt feature on the DF20A.
Looks promising.
Now, if we can drive down the $3445 delivered price tag.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329604#p329604 said:
PATRIOT » 17 Sep 2013, 11:26[/url]"]I'll be purchasing new as well . . . JUST SAY NO . . . to old school carbureted engines . . . direct port injection is the way to go, no matter the horsepower.
My 2 cents.

Why, curious?

I'm buying the 20hp suzuki tom and i can't wait to get it out on the water. =D>

Great i just called them a couple hrs ago and they don't have any manual start short shafts in stock and it could be mths till they get them,never fails. :( They do have a ton of electric start ones but i really don't want an electric start one but i'm considering it.I'm considering all of the 20hp brands since i'm going to pay near 3k i may as well get a new 20hp tohatsu.Oh well i have to think hard on this now.My decision just got harder.Also to there is a couple of suzuki dealers in my area but spread all over,there is a merc and yamaha dealer within walking distance from me.I talked to the rep on the phone and he said the merc,yamaha,tohatsu and the zuki are all excellent engines,the only dif is the efi vs carb which gives the suki an edge in running smoother and having a crisper takeoff,he said it's also easier to start in cold weather but i don't have to worry in fl,lol.

I guess the one advantage i would have with an electric start is if for some reason i didn't like the 4stroke i could sell it way easier then a manual.I'm also looking with a tohatsu you get a 5yr warranty,all the others offer 3 which is still good,i'm hoping that merc will do the 5yrs again,if they do i will jump all over the 20hp merc.

Who are you calling? The only dealer I have talked to on the Suz is port-a-boat in Cal.

Ok my choice just got a bit harder,i found 2 mint,i mean mint freshwater 2003 25hp 2stroke mercs for sale by the same guy for only $1850.These motors are i mean flawless.This just made my choice harder because i have been wanting a 25hp 2stroke merc or yamaha to begin with but i gave up after a while as people just wanted way to much for them and the conditions i saw the others in were just junk till now.I also found a few nice 25hp 2stroke yamahas.Man this is a hard choice.

Latest posts