5 HP Nissan- Max boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I have a almost new 5 HP Nissan 2 stroke that I bought from a friends estate and it has a sentimental in addition to being pretty inexpensive. I am running on on a 12' jon boat (30") and it moves it pretty good. I would like to move up to a slightly bigger boat maybe just a wider boat. What is the max size I could move up to without changing this motor? I want to be able to at least get it up on a plane.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329513#p329513 said:
Vagante » 20 minutes ago[/url]"]Don't think I could go at least wider?

I had a 6 hp evinrude on my 1448 at one time, but it would take about 30 yrds to get on plane with just me in it. Every time I made a sharp turn it would fall off plane.

Might try a hydro-foil 1st on what you got to see if you get an decent improvement in performance before going up in boat size.

I just bought a 2013 4HP Tohatsu and it will plane my 1542LW Tracker with just me no gear. This is a light weight boat which is why I bought it. It normally stays in very skinny water most of the time in the creeks and rivers in midstate SC and works well for its intended purpose. I think when I change the carb and prop it may actually plane with two aboard. The tracker topper floats pretty shallow,I think its 64ga alu which is not very thick or heavy. It has its limitations for sure but when you have to jump out and slide it over sand bars the light weight boat and smaller motor is the only thing I can use in the waters I mostly fish.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330567#p330567 said:
skipper123 » 27 Sep 2013, 09:15[/url]"]I just bought a 2013 4HP Tohatsu and it will plane my 1542LW Tracker with just me no gear. This is a light weight boat which is why I bought it. It normally stays in very skinny water most of the time in the creeks and rivers in midstate SC and works well for its intended purpose. I think when I change the carb and prop it may actually plane with two aboard. The tracker topper floats pretty shallow,I think its 64ga alu which is not very thick or heavy. It has its limitations for sure but when you have to jump out and slide it over sand bars the light weight boat and smaller motor is the only thing I can use in the waters I mostly fish.

Keep us posted on how it does loaded and if you change out the prop etc. Very helpful info thanks =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329500#p329500 said:
Vagante » 16 Sep 2013, 19:53[/url]"]I have a almost new 5 HP Nissan 2 stroke that I bought from a friends estate and it has a sentimental in addition to being pretty inexpensive. I am running on on a 12' jon boat (36") and it moves it pretty good. I would like to move up to a slightly bigger boat maybe just a wider boat. What is the max size I could move up to without changing this motor? I want to be able to at least get it up on a plane.

Haven't been out in it yet, but current project boat is a 14' 130 lb (original specification) old Alumacraft semi-v, @ 48" beam. My plan is to dedicate a 5.5 Johnson to it.

A 12-36 jon is going be pushing water more than a semi-v, and I'd think the over-all weight and hull shape would put the two configurations at about equal footing. But I can't tell from experience. I'd guess the 12-36 is lighter by a bit.

I'm sure there's a formula for weight/displacement/configuration which one of the folks here knows...but for me, I'd have to try it on another hull to tell, BEFORE I committed to purchase.

Let me know, will you?

Have fun, be safe.

Latest posts