thoughts on 1962 sportwin 10 horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catchaser

Reaction score
Wanna know the negative and positive outlook for another good compression freebie I've just picked up.

Picked it up Saturday waiting for impeller before doing anything. My 66 18hp is giving me fits.

good deal, should be another good one to have.

I've been putting together a '54 Clinton I just stripped and painted. It should look great when I'm done.
This one is a sacrificial motor. I let my wife in on this project by picking paint colors - pink and violet :roll: . I'm hoping that letting her "be involved" it will be easier to get the next classified bargain.

BTW where do you find these "free" motors?

Friends mostly that's where I got the 57 merc mark 10 &1966 fastwin. The 69 merc 7.5 was payment for welding a buddies pontoon the 62 sportwin was basically free at 25 bucks. My wife is not real happy unless she's on the water with these old motors I spend a good bit of time working on em and ebay has made a fair share off me for parts

Sounds like you really need to visit www.aomci.org
This is the Antique Outboard Motor Club. These guys will help you out on parts, literature, knowledge base, etc,
You may want to consider being a member. Look up the local chapters for one near you.

Get that impeller yet?

I'm now wishing that this Clinton I got had water cooling. Man these air "cooled" engines run hot. Definitely don't want to accidentally bump into it.
This was undoubtedly the toughest to get going, so far. Everything acted good, but it appeared I didn't have a spark. Checked the points, condenser, coil and everything seemed to be ok. tried a known good spark plug and still nothing.
Finally took it all apart again and rechecked everything and reassembled. Put a new spark plug in and hit the flywheel with a drill. Bang, new motor.

Thought you might enjoy a picture, and also a reference of what colors to not paint an outboard (aka wife should not get a say). :LOL2:

clint_paint.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330360#p330360 said:
catchaser » Today, 06:28[/url]"]:nope still fighting my 66 for now

what is the 66 doing that's giving you troubles? as for negatives on a 62 fastwin I would imagine they are pretty much the same motor as a 63 fisherman and if that is the case then I would tell you it is a tank! the bosses (not the work boss) brother showed up at our house about 5 yrs ago and asked me if I wanted a boat motor and said he found it in an apartment complexes garage unit that he was clearing out for work(he gets apartments ready for the next tenant when leases are up) and it was in there and they were gonna toss it so he grabbed it. It looked like it had not ran in a very long time because it had about a inch of dust on it including the motor. he said the cover was laying on the ground when he found it. so about 2 years later my buddys 7.5 merc took a crap on him that pushes his lil jom boat around so I told him lets see if we can get the rude running and if so he could have it. the rope was broke off inside the starter pulley so when the rope came in we replaced it and put some new plugs in it after we hosed it down and cleaned it up a bit. the motor was very clean, not really a scratch on it and the blue actually had a little shine on it. so we put some fresh gas in it and on the 3rd pull it fired up and smoked really bad but died about 5 seconds after so after a few more trys while playing with the choke we were able to keep it running and after about 5 minutes it stopped smoking and we pushed the choke back in and it idled very good. seemed to still have good compression by the pull of the rope. so we put a new imprller and housing in it and he took it. it still runs to this day and he has never had 1 problem with it and just changes plugs and oil once a year. its a sweet lil motor that I kinda wish I would have kept. well I got a call a couple weeks back and he asked me if I wanted it back because he got a 75 6hp Johnson. I want to repaint the hood and try to find some factory decals for it and try to make it look as close to new as possible wich it pretty much did after cleaning it when we got it running. I think I may be in trouble because now ive been looking on CL for and older 60's small outboard thatys cheap so I can fix it up, just what I need... something else for the boss to gripe about :lol:

Ya my wife is starting ti think I'm a hoarder. The 66 is just running hot and I can't figure out y. Got lots of water pressure. I dunno

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330389#p330389 said:
catchaser » 25 Sep 2013, 10:45[/url]"]Ya my wife is starting ti think I'm a hoarder. ...

I can fully understand this statement. :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330389#p330389 said:
catchaser » 25 Sep 2013, 10:45[/url]"]Ya my wife is starting ti think I'm a hoarder. The 66 is just running hot and I can't figure out y. Got lots of water pressure. I dunno

how do you know its running hot? when its warmed up you should be able to hold your hand on the cyl head and or the exhaust cover for 5-6 seconds without it being so hot you cant hold it there for 5-6 secs. how do you know it has good water pressure? the pee hole?