Breaking in a engine with RP breakin oil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I just ordered a brand new 20hp suzuki efi.I wanted to know if i break in the outboard with ROYAL PURPLE breakin oil thats specifically for breaking 4stroke engines will that be ok?I know it's not fcw oil but will it be ok just to break it in for the time it needs.It's not a synthetic oil it's a reg based oil with alot of phosphorus and zinc in it.It's actually under the marine category on rp website so i couldn't see it not being safe but it's better to ask if anyone know about this product.

After breakin i am going to use rp 10w 30 marine 4stroke oil or 10w 40,which would be better in the florida weather?

Check in your owners book when you get your new engine Suzuki will no doubt have recommendations for the proper oil to use.

I have been using RP in my outboard and cars for a long time and never had an issue, i just have never used their breakin oil,suzuki does not supply you with oil out of the box so i would think any marine breakin oil would do the trick.I called suzuki today and they told me it was ok.

I can't see why any manufacturer would suggest any sort of "special" break-in oil. If you think you need it, just use regular cheap oil and drop some ZDDP additive into it for the first 5 hours, then dump it and run regular oil.

It's been my experience that running any expensive "break-in" oil doesn't make them last any longer vs. running a regular oil and following the normal break in procedure as specified by the manufacturer.

Have built plenty of engines in my life. None ever needed any special break in with the exception of some flat-tappet camshaft stuff. If it was tight enough to need break-in, something else was wrong to begin with and it would have failed during the break-in period. No type of oil would have prevented it in cases like that.

Now there is an additive that guys like to use in flat-tappet break in. Used to be that all oils had the additive, but the good old US EPA said we can't have it, and took it out, and from that point on I've heard of guys losing cams and followers due to wiping. I've personally not experienced it but I don't do a lot of flat-tappet style camshaft stuff. Keep in mind the pressures on stuff I've messed with were 10x (and more) higher than typical outboard motor stuff. Valve spring pressure alone in the 300 lb range.

Just run dino oil in it for the first 20 hours and then switch to mobil 1 and be done with it. You are way over thinking all of this.

Royal Purple is good oil, but is made for the racing crowd. When you get into turbo's and super chargers and nitrous and full roller motors with 13+ compression, you need ever benefit a oil can give you.

I will never use mobil one of today,it's not the same as we know it according to a ton of research i have done.They changed their formulation to a cheaper oil from all i have read.What i found is this,a guy ran mobil one of today through a chromatograph,his findings were that mobil one is a group 3 base stock oil compared to the group 1V or V base stock oil of how it use to be,mobil one has led people to believe that their oil is the same great fomulation of old and it's not from what i have and many other people have read.The thing that gets these people is the price has gone way up and the product formulation has gone down to near reg dino oil with very little synthetics in it.Is this true i don't know but i know rp and amsoil have good reputations over any other brand and their oil has not changed since new that i'm aware of.

All oils are not created the same,the additive package is different in brands.The oil i 'm using for breakin is designed for breaking in the engine,thats it.I have verified with suzuki that it is fine to use any sae or marine oil,of course they want you to use their oil like any other motor company for money reasons.The only other brand of oil i use is castrol edge full synthetic.

That is what i'm going to do,please don't take this the wrong way,i'm not trying to start an oil war.I think mobil one is ok but so many mechanics who have done testing on dif oils said the price you pay for the mobil one of today is not the same stuff it was yrs ago.

Of course it is for big Diesel engines but we only use RP on all our drilling rigs and it's not because it's cheap.

Latest posts