1968 18 HP Evenrude Fastwin Won't Start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desanmr

Reaction score
Good Morning Forum,

A month ago I was using my boat on a rough busy day on the lake. The waves from the other boats had me continually speeding up and slowing down. Finally the engine stopped and would not start again. After an hour of pulling my butt off, I finally got the boat restarted by switching from choke to non choke. The engine would rune. but not idle well. Went 100 yard and then got pulled over for not going slow enough under a bridge. The cops stated that they stopped me for going above a no wake, but seen for the past hour that I was working on my boat, needless to say, I was not happy with them and my boat never restarted. (Used trolling motor for the next hour to return to the dock)

When I got home I found the plugs fouled. I bought new plugs, extra plugs, and a plug wrench for the boat. I changed the plugs and took the boat out this week. When I got to the lake, the boat refused to start. This engine has always been a one or two pull starter.

Question 1 - This is a two cylinder engine, could I have put the plug wires on the wrong plugs?
Question 2 - Is there any other ignition issue that I could have over looked?
Question 3 - Can I please get a copy of the repair manual.

During my initial drive that day, I took the boat for at least a two hour ride before having issues. I have no idea what else to do.
I was a mechanic for GM 20 years ago, so I do know how to repair cars very well, but have never worked on a two stroke. With a manual I am sure I could skim by.

Thank you,

Michael

Sounds like a vapor lock on the lake. Verify she's staying cool. I'm fighting mine right now. Next check the kill switch and verify its not grounding out or rubbing.

answer to question 1. No it wont run if the wires are switched. it will pop and crack out the exhaust and intake if they are switched. Sounds to me like its flooded because something in the carb. The reason I say that is you said it didnt idle very well after you got it started. I would check the carb first. clean it and check the float and make sure its good. Check your spark with a spark tester on both cylinders. It should jump a 1/4"-3/8" gap and be bright blue. As for electronic ignition forget that crap. Heres a link for a manual
https://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Steve

This little link can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

Thanks for all the advice guys.......
I guess I really need to pull the carb and rebuild it.
I did notice that the Idle adjusting plug had walked out of the front of the carb.

I haven't rebuilt a 2 stroke carb before, but I guess its worth a try.

Was going to take it to a boat shop, but none want to work on it. That confuses me.

I just want it to run good for my son and to be reliable so he can enjoy it without me worrying about him.

Around here(central tx) no one works on older motors too may people get sticker shock due to parts and labor fees. I just rebuilt the carb on my 66 fastwin 18 horse. If you can follow instructions you can do it. Napa has the kit as well as marineengine.com its a breeze and will make a huge difference.

Latest posts